Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Chambering Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

Default Chambering Problem

My buddy just reloaded some .308 rounds at different lengths and some of them won't chamber. The rounds that won't chamber are the shortest rounds he loaded and they're set exactly to the C.O.A.L. for that bullet. The longer bullets chamber fine. The really strange part is that there are visible marks from the lands on the shorter bullets and none on the longer bullets.

Any ideas???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

how is he measuring coal?? he needs to test his calipers as well. if they are electronic might be giving false readings from low battery.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

His calipers are good. I'm a quality engineer and I went over his calipers last week including verifying their accuracy and putting a new battery in them.

My buddy did mention that he loaded a dummy round to the same length and it would chamber. The difference was the dummy round didn't have any powder and it had been full length sized. His rounds that won't chamber are neck sized. But his longer bullets that chamber fine were also neck sized?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

one thing to try is pull the bullet see if the empty chambers. how much reload experience does he have??

not all bullets are made the same especially lead free ones. they tend to be longer to get the same weight.

or if the bullet is really heavy they will be longer.

also hollow points can have longer length to retain weight.

i use a hornady bullet comperator and a hornady oal gage rather than using book values on some loads. i measure the chamber of the rifle then i know what the distance to the lands are. i subtract a bit and that gives me a good max oal for that rifle.

measuring from the tip of the bullet is only useful for making by the book generic loads and should only be used with specific bullets.

an example: so if you got a speer 168bthp 308 dont use hornady measurements for their version of the same bullet. this is especially dangerous if you have a lead free 168grn and use data for a lead cored bullet. your prolly going to have length issues.

just loading random lengths and chambering by feel is a good way to kaboom the gun.

maybe some of that will help

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
one thing to try is pull the bullet see if the empty chambers. how much reload experience does he have??

not all bullets are made the same especially lead free ones. they tend to be longer to get the same weight.

or if the bullet is really heavy they will be longer.

also hollow points can have longer length to retain weight.

i use a hornady bullet comperator and a hornady oal gage rather than using book values on some loads. i measure the chamber of the rifle then i know what the distance to the lands are. i subtract a bit and that gives me a good max oal for that rifle.

measuring from the tip of the bullet is only useful for making by the book generic loads and should only be used with specific bullets.

an example: so if you got a speer 168bthp 308 dont use hornady measurements for their version of the same bullet. this is especially dangerous if you have a lead free 168grn and use data for a lead cored bullet. your prolly going to have length issues.

just loading random lengths and chambering by feel is a good way to kaboom the gun.

maybe some of that will help
The bullets are Speer 168bthp, but his bullets that won't chamber are the same length as factory Federal Premium with Speer 168bthp. And the weird part is that it's only his shortest loads that won't chamber? The longer loads with the same bullet chamber fine.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19472 Times on 11061 Posts
Likes Given: 49068

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The bullets are Speer 168bthp, but his bullets that won't chamber are the same length as factory Federal Premium with Speer 168bthp. And the weird part is that it's only his shortest loads that won't chamber? The longer loads with the same bullet chamber fine.
i would check the OAL of the case. sounds like they might need trimming then resizing. might also check and make sure the primers are full seated. had both of these happen to me.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Another thought....

When seating the bullet/s, the shoulder could have been set back. This will expand the brass at the shoulder in some cases.

Put a caliper on a couple and compare to know chamberable (is that a word?) rounds.

The info above is good stuff, check them all.

I try (don't always get it done) to check chambering (another one of those words) several times during the loading process. I would rather find my screw ups early.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Liked 117 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

did he full length size or neck size? If he full length sized, check case OAL. He might have buckled the shoulder when sizing.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 505

I would bet his brass is out of spec. Tell him to pull the bullets and full length size the cases,and then trim them.He should also get an OAL gauge,and measure the chamber in his rifle.That could be the problem also:

Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

He figured it out. It's his neck sizing die. The mandrel is way off center and the bullet is ending up off center after seating. We ran his brass through my sizing die and no problem. Run it through his and the bullets will not chamber (using same seating die). And his bullets were not marked by the lands. There was only one mark on one side of his bullets and it was from the throat. I'm also thinking RCBS just totally messed up on the mandrel for his die? The adjustment screw for the mandrel sticks up a good 3" above the die with the decapping pin sticking a 1/4" out of the bottom of the die. I've never seen an adjustment screw that long in a die.