Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   CCI .22LR mini-mag - HP or round nose? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/cci-22lr-mini-mag-hp-round-nose-62969/)

JazzDoc 04-21-2012 01:55 AM

CCI .22LR mini-mag - HP or round nose?
 
Naive question for you pros: I recently bought a Kimber .22LR Target Rimfire pistol.
While I was there I bought a whole bunch of CCI .22LR mini-mag but when I got home I realized I'd bought the hollow point version (0032) rather than the round nosed (0030).
Does it matter in terms of the gun break in or the accuracy if I use the hollow points or was this a no-no as it's for target shooting, not for varmints?

Thanks for your input.

Dan308 04-21-2012 03:13 AM

Reloading? The answer is no.

JazzDoc 04-21-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan308 (Post 777484)
Reloading? The answer is no.

In other words, these'll be OK?

JTJ 04-21-2012 03:33 AM

Serious target shooting requires serious ammo which is expensive. Further, rifle target ammo and pistol target ammo are different as they are optimized for the barrel length. Target ammo is usually non plated 40grain lubricated lead. Copper washed or plated is usually not used as you will have to scrub and season the bore. For inexpensive practice ammo try CCI Blazer or one of the other lead rounds preferably in 40 grain. If you are not that serious, use anything you want.

JazzDoc 04-21-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 777502)
Serious target shooting requires serious ammo which is expensive. Further, rifle target ammo and pistol target ammo are different as they are optimized for the barrel length. Target ammo is usually non plated 40grain lubricated lead. Copper washed or plated is usually not used as you will have to scrub and season the bore. For inexpensive practice ammo try CCI Blazer or one of the other lead rounds preferably in 40 grain. If you are not that serious, use anything you want.

OK, thanks.
I was advised to use a premium high velocity .22LR for the Kimber. So I still have two questions, then -
(1) anything wrong with my using that CCI mini-mag hollow point, and
(2) is Blazer a high velocity round?

Dan308 04-21-2012 04:56 AM

any .22 ammo can be used in that with no problems. Yes Blazer is

JazzDoc 04-21-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan308 (Post 777590)
any .22 ammo can be used in that with no problems. Yes Blazer is

Thanks, Dan!

Overkill0084 04-21-2012 03:06 PM

First, there is nothing wrong with using CCI Mini Mag HPs in your pistol. The only possible issue I can think of, though unlikely, HPs can be a bit trickier too feed in some guns. That's it. Accuracy wise, they are likely just as accurate as anything else in their class, if not more so. CCI Mini Mags may surprise you. In my Rifle (Kimber 82), Mini Mags shot as well as some "target" ammo. To gain a noticeable improvement, the cost about triples.
Also, the Blazers will do fine. Of the "bulk" .22 ammo, it's pretty much the best, at least IMHO. It's 99% of what I shoot these days.
If you're serious about group sizes and getting the last bit of accuracy, you will need to buy boxes of the different brands of ammo and test them to find which one your particular gun prefers.

HOSSFLY 04-21-2012 05:39 PM

IMO you chose the best --- short of the mentioned hi dollar target stuff -
I use nothing but CCI Mini Mags in all my rimfire guns-
And the HP's should do great :)

JazzDoc 04-21-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 777807)
First, there is nothing wrong with using CCI Mini Mag HPs in your pistol. The only possible issue I can think of, though unlikely, HPs can be a bit trickier too feed in some guns. That's it. Accuracy wise, they are likely just as accurate as anything else in their class, if not more so. CCI Mini Mags may surprise you. In my Rifle (Kimber 82), Mini Mags shot as well as some "target" ammo. To gain a noticeable improvement, the cost about triples.
Also, the Blazers will do fine. Of the "bulk" .22 ammo, it's pretty much the best, at least IMHO. It's 99% of what I shoot these days.
If you're serious about group sizes and getting the last bit of accuracy, you will need to buy boxes of the different brands of ammo and test them to find which one your particular gun prefers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 777939)
IMO you chose the best --- short of the mentioned hi dollar target stuff -
I use nothing but CCI Mini Mags in all my rimfire guns-
And the HP's should do great :)

Than you very much, Greg and Hossfly - very appreciative for the help and advice.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.