Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Casting and realoding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The majority of my lead is wheel weights. I have one tire shop that gives me their lead. One of the County shops will give me lead and the other is run by a jerk that won't. I think he is selling it on the side. I get pure lead roofing pipe jackets from a roofer buddy (trade him ammo for it). I have made some deals for Linotype in the past. I have used Rotometals for 50/50 bar solder, but yes it is expensive. Tin is very desirable, but not absolutely necessary for many applications. I use pure lead to "stretch" my other materials in lopw velocity applications (.38 and .44-40).

I use a Lyman lubrisizer with heater plate from MidwayUSA and hard lube. It may be a little slower than the Lee TL's, but much cleaner. I just don't like the TL molds. I do not like the designs, they are not "traditional looking". I blend my metals for the application from 20-1 Lead-Tin for muzzle loaders and shotgun slugs to 50/50 wheel weights/Lino for rifles and a few select handgun applications.

I load a lot and save my scrap brass in a bucket. When I have a 5 gallon bucket of brass, I take it to the scrap yard and "trade" it for lead. I take the dross and steel WW clips to the scrap yard and give it to them so it gets disposed of properly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got my first batch around 1K lbs. of WW from local shops and car dealerships before most started recycling them or they started using a lot of Zinc and steel weight which are useless except for selling and using the money to by lead back at the scrap yard.

I also picked up lead or lead based alloy for my old printer friends that I've been in 30+ years that still had Lino around. I also picked up lead and lead alloys from friends that work in hospitals,construction/demolition and the plumbing business.

I've traded brass that I don't use or reload for lead and on a rare occasion I bought rolls of lead sheeting used in roofing at the scrap yards for 30 cents per lbs. but that been awhile. The scrap yard is the only lead I've paid for all the rest was free for the asking or just letting people know your wanting it.

Last edited by res45; 11-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.