Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Casting Buckshot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/casting-buckshot-76216/)

robocop10mm 11-12-2012 02:23 PM

Casting Buckshot

As some may know, I cast many different projectiles including buckshot. I started with a .312 roundball mold (two cavity from Lee) and recently got a Lee 18 cavity OO buck mold.

I was always a little dissapointed with the sprue. Occasionally the sprue will leave a bit of extra metal around the sprue. I just lived with it figuring it was just the best I could do with just casting and no heavy equipment the big loaders have. I read recently about how the big boys make bukshot. Apparently they cut square wire and tumble them in drums till they peen each other into round balls. This got me to thinking. Maybe I can replicate this in a smaller scare to "round out" my own buckshot.

I took a batch of 900 cast .312 balls (right between #1 and O buck) and ran them in my vibratory case cleaner w/o media. I just let them beat against each other for 30 mins and VIOLA, MUCH more round. The sprue was peened enough and the few that had little "tails" were corrected. They are now much better than "as cast".

My next project is to develop a buckshot load for my wife's 20 ga. 9 pellets of .312 should be a very sufficient load for zombies.

oldatheart 11-12-2012 02:26 PM

If you're hunting zombies i have some spoils i could donate for bait.
It's weird, i was snorkeling of cuba's northern shore and came across this small boat FULL of guns and ammo, you boys wouldn't know anything about that would you?

robocop10mm 11-12-2012 02:40 PM

Damn, it is amazing how far stuff can drift from the Texas coast. I will send you an address for you to ship them back. Of course I will cover the cost.

oldatheart 11-12-2012 02:42 PM

Fair enough.
Very well done with the buckshot
Wish i had the equipment to do it myself
Nowadays even standard buck is gettin expensive

locutus 11-12-2012 03:01 PM

Well done, indeed!:)

But a rotary tumbler would work even better.

So now you have an excuse to buy a Thumler's Model "B" tumbler!:D

207driver 11-13-2012 03:24 AM

Great idea...I'm going to try that in my rock polisher!

trip286 11-13-2012 03:32 AM

Rock polishers can also be used in manufacturing black powder.

locutus 11-13-2012 10:37 PM

Rock polishers can also be used to wash brass. I wash in warm water and a dash of liquid Tide for 20 minutes, and the results are better thn 3 hours of vibrating in walnut.

207driver 11-14-2012 01:15 AM

I do tumble my brass in my teeny, tiny, 1.5 pound rock polisher (must be the Scot in me) in walnut and either a pinch of Titanium Dioxide, or Tripoli polish. The real tarnished range recovered stuff may go over night, but just to clean, it only runs a couple of hours.

locutus 11-14-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 207driver (Post 1013533)
I do tumble my brass in my teeny, tiny, 1.5 pound rock polisher (must be the Scot in me) in walnut and either a pinch of Titanium Dioxide, or Tripoli polish. The real tarnished range recovered stuff may go over night, but just to clean, it only runs a couple of hours.

Try the warm water and Tide for 20 minutes some time. I think you'll like it.

BTW, WARM, not hot!

BTW, if you upgrade to a Thumler's mod. "B", you can polish 15 lbs of rocks at a time! :D