Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   cast bullets infull auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/cast-bullets-infull-auto-76774/)

alard17 11-20-2012 07:30 PM

cast bullets infull auto

Hi all; recently I have been reloading brass for my legal ak
last night I was thinking " if my gun was full auto and after a couple of magazine
the chamber and barrel tempreture will increase and the lead my get melted:confused:"
infact my final question is about the performance (range;accuracy;damage caused;penetration.....etc) for cast bullets in full auto:confused:

and if it has agood performance why jackiting it with brass:confused:

alard17 11-20-2012 08:26 PM

cast bullet in full auto

Hi all; what is the performance ( range;penetration;accuracy ;reliability) of cast bullets of ak-47 in full auto mode:confused:
and if it has a good performance why the jackiting with brass:mad:

I was wondering if the lead is going to melt :confused:after couple magazine because of exissive heat

Marlinman 11-20-2012 08:28 PM

How bout you stop askin these questions bc unless you have a class III ffl you are braking the law mon ami

trip286 11-20-2012 08:38 PM

They're jacketed with copper.

Yes, pure lead will be trying to melt, and will produce ridiculous fouling.

JonM 11-20-2012 09:13 PM

one should refrain from unjacketed lead in a gas operated semi auto. it will clog the gas port. most ak47 however do have a pick in the tool kit for cleaning the gas port :)

vaporized lead will lead up the gas piston and gas tube and thats a bear to clean out. eventually it will stop the gun from cycling altogether and nothing short of replacing the gas block gas tube and gas piston will fix it.

res45 11-20-2012 11:17 PM

The blowback design guns,Thompson,MAC 10 & 11,STEN Mark II,MP-40 etc.etc. in 9mm and 45 ACP will work just fine and not give any issues at all as long as you have good bullet to bore fit and use a good lube.

Firearms that use a gas system to cycle the action like the AK,SKS,M1 Garand.AR's and AR10" etc.etc.will function fine in semi-auto mode as long as you don't super heat the bore by firing it in rapid fire succession using cast lead bullets. You can fire hundreds of cast loads in semi-auto rifle without having to clean the gas system but eventually your going to get enough lead.lube and carbon buildup in the gas system to lock it up if you don't clean it,firing cast lead in full auto mode in gas operated weapons just speeds up the process that much faster. Ed Harris once talked about welding the gas system up completely firing cast bullets out of a full auto AK.

I've shot a couple K of 170 gr. gas check lead bullet through my SKS rifles over the years with no issues. There a whole lot cheaper and more acccurate than the Russian ammo.

c3shooter 11-21-2012 03:50 AM

You will get more lead deposited from a bullet with no gas check. The barrel will never be as hot as the gasses that wash against the rear of the bullet. Non-gas check bullets are for much lower velocities.

nitestalker 11-21-2012 04:28 AM

You can shoot gas checked bullets poured from straight Linotype in a semiauto. I have never had a problem with gas pistons using Lino and SPG lubes.