Casing Blew Apart (Help Please) Pictures
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Casing Blew Apart (Help Please) Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Casing Blew Apart (Help Please) Pictures

I reloaded some 40 S & W.. I am almost certain I didn't double charge the casing due to the casing being 2/3 full with a normal charge. Also I did not seat the bullet deeper than instructed.

Can anyone give a good reason why the rim blew off this casing?

I was shooting a Beretta 96FS which will need to go back to beretta because of the damage to the gun.

Powder is Unique 6.5grs, bullet is uni-cor 180 gr TMJ seated 1.124 with federal small pistol primer

I am using a single stage RCBS Rock Chuckar and RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

The powder charge appears normal (about .2gr under max). The damage to the case looks like a case that had been previously fired through a Glock. Glock's unsupported chamber allow the brass to be overly stressed. They can give out just as shown. That would be my best guess.

This is the real danger in using range brass. You never know what kind of gun it was fired through and how many times it was reloaded before you picked it up.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedjr View Post
I reloaded some 40 S & W.. I am almost certain I didn't double charge the casing due to the casing being 2/3 full with a normal charge. Also I did not seat the bullet deeper than instructed. Can anyone give a good reason why the rim blew off this casing. I was shooting a Beretta 96FS which will need to go back to beretta because of the damage to the gun.

Powder is Unique 6.5grs, bullet is uni-cor 180 gr TMJ seated 1.124 with federal small pistol primer

I am using a single stage RCBS Rock Chuckar and RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure

I would have guessed this was the ubiquitous glock G22 kaboom!

It has the same failure mode displayed with the combination of weaken brass and a partial supported chamber.

I'm not familiar with the beretta 96FS chamber design but the forensic evidence is pointing that way.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #4

If you continue to reload for the 40S&W (assuming the pistol is still serviceable); I would suggest that you try this NEW tool from Redding:

grx push thru die.html

"The new G-RX push thru Base Sizing Die is designed to restore fired cases from 40 S&W auto-loading pistols that exhibit a bulge near the base.

By passing the case completely through the new G-RX Die,the bulge is removed and the case may be returned to service.

Optional Bottle Adapter fits std. powder & shot bottles with 28-410 thread to provide a convenient reservoir."

I am glad you are OK, from ALL the horror stories I have read about reloading the 40S&W dealing with Glock fired cases previously (assuming Range Pickup Brass was used)!

Doug