Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Case Trimming Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Case Trimming Help

Hello,

It's time to trim some cases. I don't have a case trimmer... so I'll need one. Nothing expensive. What do you recommend?

The 7.62x54R has a max length of 2.115" and should therefore be trimmed to 2.105"... right"

Now, what's the point in trimming a case that headspaces on the rim? I'm not getting this, and would actually like the case neck to be a bit longer. The rifle has a long lead.

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would go for a WFT Worlds Finest Trimmer. They are slightly more money than say a lyman trimmer but they work so much better.

World's Finest Trimmer - The Texas Predator Posse

He is a great guy I have talked to him a little bit about getting one of his trimmer and doing a review on it for here. Trimmers run about $75 a pop.

Little Crow Gunworks Custom Rifle and Gunsmithing, Spicer, Minnesota

If you don't like that.

My second pick would be the Wilson case trimmer.
L.E. WILSON, INC. : Wilson Case Length Trimmer -

I would also look at the Forster Case Trimmer.

FORSTER : FORSTER Case trimmer -

Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If you are not trimming by the thousands, a cheaper alternative would be the lee cutter and lock stud, which will work for all but the largest bullet diameters
Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud - MidwayUSA $6

Then you'll need to add the proper gauge for what cases you are trimming
Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 7.62x54mm Rimmed Russian (7.62x53mm Rimmed) - MidwayUSA $4.50

Your hands will start to cramp up if you do a lot of cases in one sitting, chucking it in a cordless drill helps considerably, so does adding the ball grip Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip - MidwayUSA $7
I used to do a couple hundred cases a night with it without issue.
For the money, it does a fine job if you are willing to do the manual labor. i now use a rcbs case trimmer because my case volume got real high, but the lee served its purpose for as long as I needed it

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 05-04-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

It's time to trim some cases. I don't have a case trimmer... so I'll need one. Nothing expensive. What do you recommend?

The 7.62x54R has a max length of 2.115" and should therefore be trimmed to 2.105"... right"

Now, what's the point in trimming a case that headspaces on the rim? I'm not getting this, and would actually like the case neck to be a bit longer. The rifle has a long lead.

Thanks,

Josh
I started with an RCBS file die and then went to a Forester trimmer and thought I was in Heaven. A few years later I had a chance to try the RCBS case trimmer- it was much nicer with multiple calibers, but I already had the Forester.
Why trim? The only cartridges that the case is the same diameter as the bullet are the 22 rimfires. In the chamber of centerfires there is a sorta "step down" between the case and the bullet. When a bullet is fired the case expands thd then rebounds. All this brass movement causes the neck length to get a tad longer and this is what we want to remove. You'll find it makes chambering a cartridge a lot easier. Be sure to campher the inside and outside of the carttridge mouth. Have fun!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The most tedious and annoying part of reloading is the case trimming. I've used the Lee trimmer, lock stud and case length gauges for both handgun and rifle rounds. They work fine, and even better with the drill. I have the L. E. Wilson case trimmer and holders for 9mm and 45ACP, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

If you're working from a budget or just trying to keep start-up cost low the Lee stuff will get the job done.

The specs you posted on case length are the same as what's in my Hornady 8th manual.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If the O.P. doesn't know WHY he needs to trim (see original post), I can only recommend reading at least one more reloading manual then he has to date.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #7

I am currently using the Lyman case trimmer. It isn't anything special but it will get the job done. As far as why trim headhunter hit dead on the case stretches after it has been fired, certain calibers more than others. Good luck with which ever trimmer you choose and be safe loading.
Scott

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
If the O.P. doesn't know WHY he needs to trim (see original post), I can only recommend reading at least one more reloading manual then he has to date.
I thought I would let it slide, the same way I let those who don't know the difference between then and than, or your and you're, have a free pass. Not everyone commits every thing they've ever read to memory. I've seen advice and warnings, covered in all the manuals I've read, posted from what are suppose to be seasoned reloaders as if it's new found knowledge. I figure they just forgot what they previously read in their manuals.

At least he knows he needs to trim, and now he knows why thanks to headhunter.