Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Carbide dies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/carbide-dies-30066/)

opaww 08-05-2010 12:50 AM

Carbide dies

My son ordered a set of carbide dies for .40 S&W, a RCBS shell holder, a complete set of Lee hand primer shell holders and a powder bushing so we can start reloading the .40 S&W. It all arrived today 2 days ahead of the projected arrivel date and I got to playing with it all.

I can say without a doubt that carbide dies are great and I will be replacing the old dies I have a little at a time with carbide.

Txhillbilly 08-05-2010 01:34 AM

Opaww,Those Carbide dies are the only way to go.I just wish they were made in rifle calibers.I know there are some made,but you have to be very rich to buy them from what I've read.
All of my pistol caliber dies are carbide.

Dzscubie 08-05-2010 04:01 AM

opaww,

Do you need any 40 brass? I can get you as much 1st fired as you need all you need to do is pay shipping. Let me know.

Scubie

opaww 08-05-2010 09:15 AM

Let me know how much shipping is on say 1000 pieces of .40 S&W brass. I got limited funds but if the cost is not to much I can handle it.

spittinfire 08-05-2010 10:30 AM

Carbide is a wonderful thing.

TXnorton 08-07-2010 09:29 AM

My RCBS carbide sizing dies have a rounded cross-section carbide "ring" in the lower section of the die to size the cases. Carbide dies are generally only applicable for straight walled pistol type cases, as the "ring" will not work for a tapered case which is the norm for most rifle cartridges.

I think I saw a Dillon advert in their "Blue Press" magazine for a carbide sizing die for the .308/7.62x51, but I have not had time to research how they do that.

Where they are available, they are a great investment as you can skip the whole case lubrication step (although tumble cleaning the cases is very helpful).

I have bought carbide sizing dies for all of my straight walled pistol cartridges that I load in quantity.

Dzscubie 08-07-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 326399)
Let me know how much shipping is on say 1000 pieces of .40 S&W brass. I got limited funds but if the cost is not to much I can handle it.

Opaww,

I'll pick you up a few thousand at the range next week . Don't worry about shipping I don't think it will be that much just pm me your address and I'll get them out to you.

Scubie

patret 08-07-2010 09:54 PM

Carbide dies are great but I still use a small amount of lube to help the die last almost forever. I know some of you might not agree with the lube but I have actually worn out carbide dies with my progressive loaders. You must tumble the brass before you size or you probably will scratch your dies and leave marks on your brass.

patret

Dzscubie 08-14-2010 11:22 PM

Opaww,

I have just boxed up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W and will get them out to you on Monday if you will pm me your address.

US Postal Service Flat Rate box, should cost about $10 bucks.

Let me know when you get them.

This is all 1st fired from qualifying my officers. Let me know if you need any more.

Scubie

noylj 08-19-2010 06:48 AM

TiN

Yeah, carbide is wonderful. Slightly better is titanium nitride. TiN is used to coat carbide for certain harsh environments...