Can't find a recipe for 9mm luger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can't find a recipe for 9mm luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Can't find a recipe for 9mm luger

I have a local dealer who sales powder and primers but I have to buy projectiles and manuals online.. I just started reloading and ordered some remington 9mm 115g FMJ's and the Lymans 49th edition manual.. I was shocked at how few recipes where available.. There was one recipe for a 115g HP.. But nothing else..is it safe to use the same recipe for a FMJ? also o got unique powder because every one said it was easiest for a beginner to handle due to its volume but there is no recipe for the 115g for this powder... Any suggestions? Or do I just need to count this combination a lost?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I also checked allient website and left them a message.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

For the most part, yes, you can use the 115 JHP data. Treat it as a starting point. The biggest issue is the OAL. You will need to ensure that you err to the longish side of the spec. Also, if you are using a name brand bullet, call the manufacturers customer service line and see if they can help. Another way is with the "Plunk test" on your particular pistol.
While I use Unique w/ 9 mm, I primarily use it for 147gr bullets. For the lighter practice loads, I like Bullseye.
You will want to accumulate some more loading data as you go forward. I have three manuals along with all of the electronic data I can find. The Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition is worthwhile. It's a compilation of a lot of different data. I also use the Lyman 49th, it is a very good manual overall, but as you noticed, it does have some odd gaps in coverage.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I use handloads.com quite often just for reference. I always try to find a load and veryify it with two or three other sources before dropping any powder. load data.com is also a great reference , I think its $20 a year and has amost all of the info from printed manuals and all the powder manufact too. Thats prob my best online go to for data.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you both.. I used the recipe for the 115g HP because the its within the load weights for handload.com and the OAL from handloads.com.. I am glad 2 know about this site.. I am also ordering lees reloading guide.. Sounds like multiple guides is a must.. I will let you know how they shoot

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
go here and proceed to 9mm luger and you will find about 100 sets of load data.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=115&shellid=23& bulletid=25
go here for loading data for Alliant powders.

If you back it up, you can get data for several different bullet weights.

Seek and ye shall find.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just wanted to follow up with you guys.. I ended up buying Power Pistol alliant powder.. after trying several combinations I found that using 6.0 grains.. with a OAL of 1.130 gave me the best accuracy.. I really enjoyed building this recipe.. thank you for your tips and help me find sites to refer to.. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to powders (and everything else for that matter) and which powder to buy there are so many it feels like a daunting task!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Lees second edition manual.

Buy one.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #9

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Lees second edition manual.

Buy one.
The Lee manual is a copy of powder and bullet manufactures data. Lee does not test loads themselves, they just copy it. Most of the data in the Lee manual can be had for free at the powder manufacturer's web sites.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
The Lee manual is a copy of powder and bullet manufactures data. Lee does not test loads themselves, they just copy it. Most of the data in the Lee manual can be had for free at the powder manufacturer's web sites.
Its the best collection of data I've found. I've also found alot of conflicting info between it and manufacturing websites.

The Lee info has always worked for me and countless other loaders for decades.

And, I used to have a blackhawk 41 mag that was rendered useless by data from Alliants website that they had to compensate me for.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?