Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can you explain it to me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Default Can you explain it to me

Whats the differnce +p and +p+ and all that other stuff i dont get it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Every cartridge has a standard SAAMI pressure loading so that gun manufacturers can build to a specific chamber strength. +p and +p+ rounds are loaded hotter than the standard and should only be used in guns capable of safely handling the additional pressures.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8408 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

FWIW, there are only a few "real" +P loads- 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP, and ALL .38 Supers. Those are the rounds for which SAAMI established a +P load. They are loaded to about 17% higher pressures IIRC. While someone may CALL another cartridge a +P, there is no standard for other cartridges.

The +P+ is loaded hotter than a +P, but again, there is no standard for that load- so in theory, you would load that up as a 2 times pressure load.

SOME handguns- especially older ones, were not designed for the higher pressures. Unlikely to have an OMIGOD! kind of failure, but will cause accelerated wear on the gun.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt