Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Robo, I don't know much about bullets but what you are saying about weight/CM being rearward counters what I learned in Physics. Forward weight or CM is supposed to be more stable flying bullet, the reverse can produce one prone to tumbling. It is theoretical and won't hold as much water as real world "reality" application so I hope you are sure of your info.

I STRONGLY believe that all being equal (esp. production quality), FMJ should be more accurate than JHP due to it being more aerodynamic.
I did some additional research and forgot one point (no pun intended).
Traditional jacketed bullets are made by pressing a lead core into a copper alloy cup. The core can be pressed in from the front or from the rear. In the typical FMJ, the core is pressed in from the rear. This is called an open base design The hollow point bullet is made by pressing the core in from the front and then forming the nose under pressure. This is called a closed base design. The base is the last part to contact the barrel and has more to do with accuracy than the tip. A closed base can be made with more precision than an open base design. A precise base is vitally important to accuracy.

Aerodynamics do not matter much at shorter ranges. Extreme ranges call for good aerodynamics. A boat tail hollow point rifle bullet has good tip aerodynamics as well as good base aerodynamics. A FMJ/BT bullet has good tip aerodynamics and questionable base aerodynamics. A soft point solid base bullet has good tip and base aerodynamics BUT the tip can be damaged in the magazine, by handling, or on chambering. This is why soft points are considered passe for very accurate shooting. Soft points give superior expansion so they are still used for hunting. Ballistic tip (with plastic inserts) are taking some of the market share from soft points, but cost is a factor.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Traditional jacketed bullets are made by pressing a lead core into a copper alloy cup. The core can be pressed in from the front or from the rear. In the typical FMJ, the core is pressed in from the rear. This is called an open base design The hollow point bullet is made by pressing the core in from the front and then forming the nose under pressure. This is called a closed base design.
I wondered why the hollow points were the only ones with copper on the base/bottom when i dug them out of the targets (stacked office paper) the last time i went plinking. I dug out FMJ's in .45, 9mm, and .38spcl, and i dug out JHP's in .357mag and .45ACP. Thanks.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #33

"I don't know much about bullets but what you are saying about weight/CM being rearward counters what I learned in Physics. "

High velocity rifle bullets are not arrows; Robo is correct.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 09-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
CAR
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hollow points that pedal like the black talon, Are meant to slice and cause bleeding that is very hard or impossible to stop.
I use them in my S&W 40 and my wifes 9mm for pd

blacl-talon.jpg