Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9513 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Fuzzball- I also disagree with blanket statement. 60 years ago was 1950, and it was rare to find jacketed hollowpoint handgun ammo. The current crop of Gold Dot, Ranger SXT, Golden Saber etc are NOT target cartridges. The current Russian 5.45 RIFLE cartridge is a hollowpoint for accuracy. Care to explain a bit?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #12

"(50's) was rare to find jacketed hollow point handgun ammo. The current crop of Gold Dot, Ranger SXT, Golden Saber etc are NOT target cartridges. The current Russian 5.45 RIFLE cartridge is a hollow point for accuracy. Care to explain a bit?"

Sure.

The OP's question was about hollow point bullets, he did not specify handgun or rifle. I answered in broad terms, not as an absolute to cover every possible application. I think most reloaders realize that many things about bullets are generally true but there are exceptions to everything.

To start over, MOST - if not all - highly accurate rifle target bullets are hollow points and that's what I meant. Even your mention of the rifle ammo reflects that you may already understand that. Rifle hollow points are often capable of shooting into a single small hole at 100 yards or more. No handgun bullets of any kind are capable of that.

That said, handgun bullets are "accurate" only compared to each other, meaning the best of them are somewhat less inaccurate than the worst of them. (And, in an effort to prevent confusion, I do not include any bottle neck cases or bolt action 'handguns' in that category.)

I know of NO commonly available jacketed handgun bullets except FMJ in the 50s, but there were lots of poor shooting and poor performing hollow point lead bullets. The velocity of even the .357 'powerhouse' of that period was too low for hollow points to give reliable expansion if they were hard enough to take the speed. The most commonly accurate AND effective hunting handgun bullets in those days were hard cast SWC bullets. (IMHO, that's still true, a proper sized conventional revolver hunting bullet is still slow and they need to penetrate deeply so hollow points and expansion is a distant secondary concern to many of us.)

Lee Jurras introduced the first truly effective thin 3/4 jacketed, soft core handgun bullets (as SuperVel) in the late 60s. They were acceptably accurate and came in both hollow and flat point. Both performed about the same; at short ranges they often disintegrated in flesh and often would not exit chest hit fox at short ranges. SuperVel started the progression to all those you mention and they are still game/defense bullets, not "target" (bullseye), no matter the point configuration.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 09-14-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very interesting info here...Thank you all.
One question that you might think is stupid though...When does the bullet "petal" like that? When it hits the target, even if it's hitting something soft, like flesh?

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Note that not all JHP will "bloom" like that but yes they are actually designed to expand more upon hitting flesh. Clothes can (fill the hollow point and) retard the expansion actually.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Fuzzball- I still have an original 100 round box of Super Vel 125 gr bullets. Picked up in a trade several years back, been sitting in the back of the reloading supply cabinet. Been doing this for a while.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Igor- with the controlled expansion hollowpoints (petals) the base metal is harder than the core, permitting the "petals" to bend out from the impact, but remain attached at the base. Remember, that whole assembly is turning at a VERY high rate of speed- visualize the blade from a kitchen blender being shot towars you.

Long but interesting video, different bullets, striking different materials. Don't have your speakers too high, music gets annoying.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for taking the time/being willing to explain this all to me. So far I've come across nothing but nice, good people here.

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #18

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

More and larger holes in means more blood out. Drop the blood pressure and drop the tango!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #19

C3; "Fuzzball- I still have an original 100 round box of Super Vel 125 gr bullets."

I'm down to my last few dozen .357 SuperVels and I'm saving them for history. All of my .429s are long gone. I bought mine off the shelf in the early 70s and got a fairly good stock laid in then but didn't expect them to dissappear.

SuperVels weren't much for deer (IMHO), too fragile, but Jarrus sure used them on big game successfully. Mine were great for smaller critters tho and were a lot of fun while they lasted!

Canebrake; "I could very well be mistaken, but I don't think a hollow point is necessary when you’re shooting a bullet the size of a small child."

Fully concur. Things that start big, hit big and not a lot of expansion needed! Nor a lot of speed; how fast does a boulder need to fly?

Last edited by Fuzzball; 09-14-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'd like to have a few shots from that video as a screen saver!

Pretty cool.