Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can someone explain hollow point ammo to me?

Yes, I'm a newbie. I've just recently gotten into guns and I only own a shotgun. I plan on upping my arsenal soon (with what I'm quite sure yet...)
I hear so many people talking about hollow point ammunition. I know that there's been problems with it in the past (as far as legislation goes.) I'd just like to know more about it. Yes, I could have just googled it or looked it up someplace else, but I figured that I should ask some people who are experts.
What I don't understand is, why is hollow point ammo any good? When you look at it logically, (at least from the sound of the name HOLLOW POINT) wouldn't ammunition with a solid point be more effective in terms of penetration just because it's probably heavier, etc.?
Anyhow, can someone (a few of you even) give me a lesson on what exactly hollow point ammunition is, why so many people love it so much, and what the big deal with it is?
I'm sorry if it's been discussed a million times before, but I wanted a fresh take on it, specific to what I wanted to know. Thank you.

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You are right about the penetration for FMJ but JHP EXPANDS which results in a bigger wound cavity later translates to more damage and bleeding.

Read a bit more here http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

Compare the unfired 9mm FMJ vs what a JHP (Federal HST & Golden Saber) looks like after...

BTW, none of these will implict as much damage as your shotty can.

Last edited by Poink88; 09-13-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here another article you might want to read...

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Like most things in life there are different jobs for different tools. Hollow point ammo is designed to deliver it's energy to the target at the expense of penetration, Full Metal Jacket ammo is better suited for penetration...there is a trade off and a practical consideration.

A round of FMJ that can pass through a car door will also pass through a softer target taking the energy with it, not to mention the risk that some innocent bystander or family member will be hit by the now stray round.

A HP or hollowpoint round is designed to "blossom" on impact. The blossoming creates a devastating wound and impedes the round's ability to travel through the target. This transfers the round's kinetic energy to the target and reduces the risk of overpenetration and collateral damage from a stray round.

The legislative issues you refer to are more a problem with misunderstanding the nature of a hollow point. Many believe a hollow point round to be the so called "cop killer" round, so they ban them for carry. A HP round is actually a safer alternative, for everyone other than the intended target.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure where now but I actually read that FMJ is (at one point) considered illegal for CC somewhere because of the over penetration issue and the risk for people behind the target in case of an "engagement".

Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #6

50-60 years ago bullets were of very simple "cup and core" construction and the open point/hollow point actually meant something. Today the HP design is mostly useful for target ammo because of it's slightly greater average accuracy. In fact, many of today's plastic point bullets are more violenty expansive than HP designs.

What controls expansion is much more complex than the point design. Area of open front (diameter), jacket material and construction and the core material are all major contributing factors controlling expansion or penatration. Point shape (meplat) is one of the least important factors but hollow points look good and sell well so they keep making 'em.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
50-60 years ago bullets were of very simple "cup and core" construction and the open point/hollow point actually meant something. Today the HP design is mostly useful for target ammo because of it's slightly greater average accuracy. In fact, many of today's plastic point bullets are more violenty expansive than HP designs.

What controls expansion is much more complex than the point design. Area of open front (diameter), jacket material and construction and the core material are all major contributing factors controlling expansion or penatration. Point shape (meplat) is one of the least important factors but hollow points look good and sell well so they keep making 'em.
Sorry but I definitely do not agree with you.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.brassfetcher.com/9x18mmMak.html

Check out these ballistic tests of different caliber rounds; there should be some HP's in there. It is my basic understanding that the HP's are better for leaving larger holes in softer targets (guts) while FMJ's are better for penetrating with harder targets like someone wearing a really heavy coat or maybe some really light body armor.

I am not familiar with ballistic tipped bullets with their special plastic klan hats.

edit* This test was specifically HP vs FMJ. http://www.brassfetcher.com/Hollowpoint%20Versus%20FMJ.html

Yes, Lon, just like that lil hater there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-13-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
9x18mm Mak

I am not familiar with ballistic tipped bullets with their special plastic klan hats.
Like this one.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #10

"Sorry but I definitely do not agree with you. "

That's fine, and you may be right. But I'd need some reasons for your disagreement to know.