Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Can someone explain bullet casting for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6558 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Can someone explain bullet casting for me?

I am really wanting to get a Nagant revolver but the ammo availability and price are the only things keeping me from getting it. I plan on reloading for it to help bring the price down, and I was wondering about bullet casting.

I have about 20 lbs of old lead (some was the kind plumbers used to use, the rest is melted down bird shot) and I was wondering what I would need to cast it, and How much it would cost.

I am also curious about the process? Any words of wisdom from the many experts out there?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

A way to melt it, something to melt it in, a mold, lube and a sizer. Under $100 the cheapest. You might need to add something to harden it up. But you will save alot of money.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

shoot C3 a pm - last time he answered a bullet casting thread I thought I was back in college listening to my physics professor

I had nightmares that we were going to have a test on the info he posted

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys, I also pm-ed c3, and now I think I understand the basic process.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5128 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

If your looking to load for the nagant the original cases need to be washed as the primers are corrosive. You only get 1-2 loadings at best before the cases split.

You can use a few modern cases but need to use plated bullets or clean the revolver every 25 shots in the cylinder retaining pin area or lead buildup will lock it up tighter than a vault door.

I havent investigated the rumor that the cases can be made from 30carbine brass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If your looking to load for the nagant the original cases need to be washed as the primers are corrosive. You only get 1-2 loadings at best before the cases split.

You can use a few modern cases but need to use plated bullets or clean the revolver every 25 shots in the cylinder retaining pin area or lead buildup will lock it up tighter than a vault door.

I havent investigated the rumor that the cases can be made from 30carbine brass.
I've heard that you can also use 32-20 brass.

I'm just wanting a fun range gun (especially since I don't have a handgun yet) and thought the Nagant sounded like a good option at $100. To bad it doesn't have cheap/plentiful ammo like it's cousin the Mosin.
I have also looked into a few other milsurp pistols (makarov, tokarov, ect) but I would have to order their ammo to, and it is not exactly cheap either.
I looked into a RIA 1911 in either 45 ACP or 9mm, but it is at the very limit of what I can afford right now. (possibly out of it)
Anybody have any suggestions for a low priced, cheap to feed pistol (revolver or semi)?

lol, if I can't cast bullets for the Nagant, at least I know what I need and how to do it for future revolvers.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The cases are easy to make from the .32 WCF [32-20] brass. They will not have the deep seat and gas seal. That said they work just fine. Get a Lee Mold and some Lee Alox bullet lube. You should be able to shoot the .311 bullets without using a sizer. You just shake the slugs in Alox and let them dry. If needed Lee makes a cheap sizer that works. This is a round about like a .32 S&W Long easy to handle. Your Plummers lead will throw close to mold size and will seal bore. If you use WW lead you will likely throw over size bullets and they may not seal in this low pressure Ctg. Good Luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #8

Where would I be able to find .311 plated bullets?

Also, what did you mean by WW lead? Is that the lead from the bird shot?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #9

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Where would I be able to find .311 plated bullets?

Also, what did you mean by WW lead? Is that the lead from the bird shot?
My guess is wheel weight...

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #10

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

WW refers to Wheel Weight metal. The clip ons are harder than Plummers lead. The stick ons run the same BH as Plummers lead. I don't know what you mean by plated? Are talking about jackets or cast lead and copper wash plate? The jacketed .32 XTP .312 will work in the Nagant. You can also run these thru a .311 sizer as well. Berry's Bullets has plated lead bullets. Shooting lead bullets you need to be one size over .311 bore bullet .312.