can rifle powder be used in pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > can rifle powder be used in pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default can rifle powder be used in pistol

hi
i am new to reloading and would like to know if rifle powders can be used to reload pistol rounds?

also can rifle primers (small )be used for pistol ammo reloading?

what would the reason be if the answer is no?

thanks

nagarifle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

NO on both accounts.

Pistol/shotgun powder are much faster burning that rifle powder. Pistol powders are designed to burn really fast because they have as little as 2" to push the bullet.

Again NO rifle primers can not be used to reload pistol ammo. I do believe small pistol and small rifle primers are different sized to boot.

Maybe you need to get a few books and read.

1. Get the ABC's of reloading.

This is not some fly by night oh just fill the case and smash a bullet into it operation.

Reloading is very serious and not to be PLAYED with. It can and it will KILL or maim you in a fraction of a second.

I may sounds like a dick but we have to look out for new reloaders or bad things can happen.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Let me sound like a dick too!

If it says small rifle primer, guess what it's application will be???

Read your load tables and follow them to the "t".

To stray from the printed data will result in what I like to call "Natural Selection".

Capice?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
NO on both accounts.

Pistol/shotgun powder are much faster burning that rifle powder. Pistol powders are designed to burn really fast because they have as little as 2" to push the bullet.

Again NO rifle primers can not be used to reload pistol ammo. I do believe small pistol and small rifle primers are different sized to boot.

Maybe you need to get a few books and read.

1. Get the ABC's of reloading.

This is not some fly by night oh just fill the case and smash a bullet into it operation.

Reloading is very serious and not to be PLAYED with. It can and it will KILL or maim you in a fraction of a second.

I may sounds like a dick but we have to look out for new reloaders or bad things can happen.

thanks for the short and sweet answer. i will abide by the advice given. i had a wondering mind and it is no longer wondering. thanks again.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Nagarifle, pay attention to what these guys just told you. Read and then re-read the manuals do not stray from them and never substitute.
Reloading ammo can be a very safe, enjoyable and rewarding part of your shooting sport or if not performed properly and safely create serious harm and grief.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are new to reloading, the best course of action is to go with what is in the manuals. Get your feet wet by using established test data. Experimentation comes after experience with known recipes.
Having said that, I have a couple of corrections. Small rifle primers and small pistol primers are exactly the same size. The reason you don't want to use small rifle primers in pistol loads is because the primer cup is harder and a lot of handguns don't generate enough impact to detonate the primer. The result is a failure to fire.
Please note, however, that some handgun cartridges are actually unsafe if made with pistol primers due to the pressure they operate at. The .454 Casull and .357 Maximum are excellent examples. Again, use what the manuals say.
As far as faster rifle powders in handgun cartridges, the larger cases can and do work best with them. If you are looking at cases like the 9mm and .45 ACP up to the .38 Special, there simply isn't enough room to get enough rifle powder in them for any kind of velocity and pressure. Go to big bores and the Magnums and it changes. Lil'Gun for example is used in both rifle and handgun cartridges. So is AA-1680, SR-4759 and even Reloader 7. I have recently started developing loads for my .357 Maximum with Alliant 410, and it's a shotgun powder.
A beginner reloader? Find all the info you can on the cartridges you use and don't stray until you feel comfortable enough in what you are doing. Get a chronograph and keep records...detailed records. Never start at maximum level loads; a simple mistake can be dangerous and most handguns don't have their best accuracy with maximum loaded ammo.

Last edited by crossfire; 02-06-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
If you are new to reloading, the best course of action is to go with what is in the manuals. Get your feet wet by using established test data. Experimentation comes after experience with known recipes.
thanks for that, some very sound advice, which i will stick to. so no fear of doing something stupid thus the questions in the first place. not much to say at the moment as i am getting info.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

the reason behind all the sage advice is that rifle primers have more bang which means more pressure. more preassure means that the case can seperate causing damage to your weapon which can result in broken pistol parts and broken parts in your hands chest face area.

same thing with rifle pistol powders used in incoorect applications. it can lead to incomplete combustion, hangfires, over pressure, or outright explosions of the wrong sort.

knowledge is power. get a reloading manual.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9555 Times on 4112 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

IF a person should make the decision to deviate from established recipes when reloading, or not follow recipe at all, the other folks shooting at the range would appreciate him wearing a sign that says "I HAVE A DEATH WISH" in order that they may place distance, sandbags, truck body, etc between themselves and the future organ donor. SOME rifle primers are thicker than pistol primers- which CAN result in a "high" primer. Results of that may range from a jammed weapon, to a cartridge firing when it is not aligned with the barrel (revolver). When you change ANY component of a load- brass, powder, bullet, or primer- go back to the starting load, and work up.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default ++1 To crossfire+C3shooter..

As a newbie to hand-loading do+use as listed in load books when it comes to size, weight,and overall length. You can vary your mfg. of primers, cases, and sometimes bullets. The best policy is to stay as close to the book as possible. After some press time, you will find where you can change things, and where you can't. The point is=get started--

NRA Life MEMBER 1976