Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Can I mix brass from different manufacturers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/can-i-mix-brass-different-manufacturers-43061/)

Jesse17 05-27-2011 12:34 AM

Can I mix brass from different manufacturers?

Does case manufacture make that big of a difference in reloading?

I'm not talking about working up a tuned load for a long gun. I'm just trying to spend less and shoot more with my 1911. If I just mix all my .45 ACP brass and treat it the same, will I at least get factory ammo levels reliably/accuracy out of it?

I would like to set up a series of Folger's coffee cans for once fired, twice fired, etc. so I can just bring home my empty brass and throw it in the appropriate can. Then when I reload I can mark the ammo can/box that the loaded cartridges go to the range in, with the number of times the brass has been loaded. However, I don't want to have to keep the brands separate. I would actually just toss the loaded cartridges in an small ammo can or something instead of using the little 50 or 100 rd. boxes.

Am I on track here or will I run into problems?

Rick1967 05-27-2011 01:37 AM

I only sort my brass for competition. I mix all my stuff for simple range time. I also use a case gauge to check my finished product. If it drops in easy I use it for comp. If it is a little snug it is range ammo.

That's waht I do anyway.

cpttango30 05-27-2011 02:08 AM

For my 1911 I use what ever brass my grubby little fat fingers can get a hold of.

It is different for rifles.

yellowhand 05-27-2011 02:20 AM

With the progressive presses many of us use and that we run K's of round at one sitting, sorting brass by maker, nope.
I've known people that sort by maker, then sort by weight of individual cases, hand throw each charge and tinkle one flake of powder at a time to make it all perfect.
Even know one guy that weighed primers, from the same box!
Same goes for bullets.
MIGHT make a small difference, but so small is it worth all of the trouble?
Never found it makes a difference.

JonM 05-27-2011 02:52 AM

all my brass is mixed. i only sort by how many times its been fired. for rifles i stay 1 grn below max at the most. so slightly different capacities on plinking rounds makes no real diff to me.

when i load for competitions, what few i do, thats a different story.

c3shooter 05-27-2011 02:53 AM

I have enough trouble sorting by CALIBER!!!

Jesse17 05-27-2011 02:55 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I was figuring but wanted to run it by the experts.

I've done maybe 150 rds. for some of my rifles about 8 years ago, but my press has been sitting on a shelf since then waiting for me to get my loading room built. Since that still hasn't happened, I'm setting it up in the guest bedroom.

Meanwhile I'm going back and rereading my loading manuals, so I don't 'think I remember' how to do it.

spittinfire 05-27-2011 10:46 AM

For range ammo it doesn't matter. My rifle loads and hunting loads for my pistols gets sorted.

opaww 05-27-2011 11:22 AM

I only sort for my .308 match grade ammo, and even then I try and use new brass but for just general shooting at the range I use what I got.

robocop10mm 05-28-2011 12:11 PM

You can try this...Load it all up, but sort the ammo by headstamp. Box it up by case maker the fiinshed products are uniform.