Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Calling all reloaders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I am going through the process of collecting all the stuff to get into reloading and there is certainly a lot to learn. Shop Ebay for some of it, and be very aware of what the MSRP is for the things you need; some of the Ebay stuff sells for more than list price. Also, check craigslist and backpage.com for local sources of used stuff. Do not overlook pawns shops; yesterday I got an RCBS digital scale for half of list. And, finally, take a look on Youtube for videos that walk you through the process. There is a guy who made some decent videos (five at ten minutes each) on how to assemble and operate a Dillon RL550B press.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

First off, I also recommend buying the abc's of reloading and begin to familiarize yourself with it. Reloading can be dangerous and potentially lethal to you and others around you if you do not take the proper precautions.

Second,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Unless you get great deals on all of your supplies its generally not worthwhile to reload 9mm
I have a greatly disagree there. I shoot a lot of 9mm so i tend to reload it almost the most. I use quality components and still manage to load it for far cheaper than shelf prices. The last batch cost me $92 to load 1000 rounds. The shops around here have been selling 115gr/125gr fmj target loads for about 12 bucks a box of 50.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Unless you get great deals on all of your supplies its generally not worthwhile to reload 9mm
I second that.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

I second that.
I know I shoot every weekend so I want to learn to do it either way

Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #15

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
First off,Like Mountainman said-Get a couple reloading manuals and I'd also suggest the ABC's of reloading,and really read and study them.

As far as equipment goes you'll need a press,dies,calipers-I prefer the digital kind,a powder thrower,a hand primer-if your press isn't set up for priming the cases,but they come in real handy anyway.
You'll also need a good beam scale,and if you want your brass to be clean get a tumbler,along with a loading block to hold your cases.

Reloading is a simple task as long as you take your time,and know what your doing.Today,you won't save as much $$ reloading,but you can produce a higher quality ammunition for your weapons that is tailor made for each gun.
I've been reloading for over 30 years,and the only time I ever buy factory ammo is when I find a great deal on it,or if I need some cheap ammo for breaking in a new barrel.
You won't save much money because it allows you to shoot more. I shoot quite a bit .45 Colt. 100 rounds brand new is about $60. I can reload 100 rounds for $24. Now I can shoot 200 rounds on the weekend for less than 100 rounds new.