Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Calling all reloaders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Calling all reloaders?

Hey guys I'm new to this but what do I need to reload my own ammo? What is needed for 9mm? I have a press and casing what else any advise help thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Unless you get great deals on all of your supplies its generally not worthwhile to reload 9mm

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I would suggest you start by getting a reloading manual and reading through it. There is a lot to reloading. And blindly rushing into it can be very dangerous.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 505

First off,Like Mountainman said-Get a couple reloading manuals and I'd also suggest the ABC's of reloading,and really read and study them.

As far as equipment goes you'll need a press,dies,calipers-I prefer the digital kind,a powder thrower,a hand primer-if your press isn't set up for priming the cases,but they come in real handy anyway.
You'll also need a good beam scale,and if you want your brass to be clean get a tumbler,along with a loading block to hold your cases.

Reloading is a simple task as long as you take your time,and know what your doing.Today,you won't save as much $$ reloading,but you can produce a higher quality ammunition for your weapons that is tailor made for each gun.
I've been reloading for over 30 years,and the only time I ever buy factory ammo is when I find a great deal on it,or if I need some cheap ammo for breaking in a new barrel.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 117 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

you might look into the Dillon Square Deal 'B'. It's pretty much a turn key package for 9mm. Like the guys said you have to do some research to see if reloading is for you. I've been reloading for 30 years and never shoot factory ammo except for .22 rimfire.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2522 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 238

First, get a copy of the ABC's of Reloading: http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332950854&sr=1-1

Familiarize yourself with the concepts & practices, the decide if you wish to proceed.
For actual reloading manuals I'd start with the Lyman 49th edition. Add to that any brand specific manuals that apply to you.
For a press & other gear, I'd suggest looking at the Lee Classic Turret Kits. Good value.
9 mm will be a challenge to save a significant amount of money with. Yes, you can save money, just not very much when talking about cheap practice ammo. Do you shoot any other calibers? .357 or even .45 acp will save you significantly more.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Mountainman- yea I figured I wouldn't save much but its something I still want to learn. Thanks for the info on the books

Txhillbilly- very informative thank you any company's you recommend to buy supplies from?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aside from the re-loading manuals you should do as much research as you can (including gleaning information from the experienced re-loaders from this site).
As far as equipment goes you will need dies for the 9mm, a scale to measure powder, a means of putting the powder into the shell (Scoop, Powder Measure, Funnel, etc.), Calipers to check Over All Length of the cartridge (OAL), a means of priming your brass and a means of cleaning your brass.
There are many other pieces of equipment that makes your life easier when reloading but you can get by with the minimum. The most important thing to remember is to follow the recipes in your manuals. The old saying is that "there are old re-loaders and there are bold re-loaders but there are no old, bold re-loaders.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9 View Post
Mountainman- yea I figured I wouldn't save much but its something I still want to learn. Thanks for the info on the books

Txhillbilly- very informative thank you any company's you recommend to buy supplies from?
First off,How much do you shoot now,or plan to in the future?
If you just shoot a few hundred rounds a month,a simple Turret press will work fine.If you shoot a lot,then a Progressive press will serve you better,but they are a little more complicated to use,and can be expensive.

Dillon is by far the best out there,but they are the most expensive.
The Hornady L n L progressive is liked by most that have them.
RCBS has great stuff in Single stage,Turret,and Progressive.
Lyman also makes some good presses.
Lee makes some good Single stage,and Turret presses,but I'd stay away from their Progressive presses.I don't like them at all.

I use 2 Lee Turret presses for all of my reloading needs,and I shoot a bunch.They have a feature called an Auto Index that turns the turrets with each cycle of the handle just like a progressive,but you can remove it and use the press as a single stage if you want to use it that way.
The Classic turret press is the best made of the Lee's,and will give you many years of service,and will be the cheapest priced of the others listed.

You can find most of the stuff you need on ebay,used for a very good price.
I would buy new dies,and any brand will work in any press.

No matter what brand of press you buy,any of the above brands will serve you well.It all depends on what you want,and how much you want to spend on the equipment.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this but what do I need to reload my own ammo? What is needed for 9mm? I have a press and casing what else any advise help thanks.
After you follow everybody's advice and purchase and read a reloading manual you might consider buying a 357 magnum with a 6 inch barrel and start off reloading 38 specials for it. The 38 special round is probably the easiest round to reload and you have a lot of room for excess pressure if you make some mistakes. I've personally seen people new to reloading at the range blow up their 9mm and 40 cal pistols because these calibers do not have much room for error when it comes to pressure. Also buy a chronograph it will give you a better picture of what's going on with your reloads.