Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Caliper Accuracy Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richz99 View Post
It's a Lyman dial caliper; analog. I usually prefer analog over digital when it comes to precision measuring. Call me old school...
I don't know how old school you are, but precision measuring with calipers? That, good sir, is an oxymoron. Or, were you pointing to actual precision measuring?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #12

If you want to satisfy yourself that your dial caliper is correct, zero it then check it with a 2 or 3" standard. How easy is that?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

As JonM stated. To do a close check on your Calipers. Pull a Bullet out of your Box read the dimension of the bullet on the end of the box and measure it. They should be very close!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Eric,

Thanks for the help; I really appreciate it!

Now it looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me to ensure my first reloads don't blow anything up
You're welcome. Reading a few loading manuals is what I did before actually loading anything, it helps to understand the how's and why's and avoid common mistakes before diving in head-first.

...and I too prefer using dial calipers, vernier micrometers and balance-beam powder scales over the digital.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2302 View Post
If you want to satisfy yourself that your dial caliper is correct, zero it then check it with a 2 or 3" standard. How easy is that?
Ok, Logan, I'll bite... Please explain.

skullcrusher - Precision is of course relative. Where some people may use a ruler, I prefer a yard stick

Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Ok, Logan, I'll bite... Please explain.

skullcrusher - Precision is of course relative. Where some people may use a ruler, I prefer a yard stick

There's no hook. A 'standard' is a precision ground length of rod that is certified to be as exact to a specific measurement, say 3", as humanly possible to measure by hand. When you buy a box set of micrometers you get enough 'standards' to check each mic from time to time.

So, if you zero your caliper and then check a 3" standard it should read 3.000"

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #17

Richz99

I don't know what a Lyman caliper looks like. I'll assume it's not made out of plastic. There are many brands of calipers out there, but any of them that meet industry standards will suffice. There should be an adjustment screw on the top of the dial. This will allow you to calibrate it against a known dimension, such as the diameter of a drill bit, 1/2 inch = .500, 1/4 inch = .250, etc., or as c3shooter suggests, feeler gages would be a good choice.

A caliper is not a "precise" precision measuring tool, but precision is relatively "relative". Don't squeeze it too tightly or drop it on the concrete, keep the dust and crud away from it, and you'll be OK.

Keep in mind, as noylj mentions above, every dimension you see will have to meet SAAMI specifications. There is always a tolerance "window". Example: Nominal size would be exact...but .005 below "exact" will fall into specs. Even bullet diameters will vary some....but you'd need more precise measuring equipment to know how much. Bullet diameters will be much more precisely controlled than the diameter of the base of a .45.

"A couple 'thou ain't much, unless you're talking to your banker."

Good luck!!

PS: If you were really 'Old School', you would use a vernier, but personally, I like the newer stuff.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #18

Logan,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll admit I'd never heard of a 'standard', so I thought there was a hook. I also had to do a Google image search for a vernier . I learn something new every day.

Before I started this thread, I tried to find something with a known standard dimension but I couldn't think of anything. I tried coins, but they're all a little different and they didn't match the dimensions I found on the internet Who knew...

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

p.s. My wife has been doing the math on all of the stuff I've bought so far, and all the stuff I still need to buy, and she doesn't seem convinced when I tell her I'm doing this to save money.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt67 View Post
Richz99

I don't know what a Lyman caliper looks like.
They look like this:

I've seen this exact caliper with half a dozen different names on it, Shars, Aerospace, SPI, now Lyman, they're decent calipers for the price. Not as nice as Starrett or Browne & Sharpe, etc. but they'll do the job.