Buying ammo online and shipping - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Buying ammo online and shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brownell's is 12.95 flat rate shipping - no matter how much. I routinely buy 1000 rounds and package weighs 38 pounds. Still 12.95.
Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I do not purchase ammo locally, I only order it online. I use Ammoman because their prices are very competitive, their posted price includes delivery, and there is no tax. When freight and tax are added on, they are not bargains anymore.

Ammoman had a sale on .223 last winter, and I ordered 5000 rounds--5 cases--it was delivered on my step at about $.22 per round, less than I could have reloaded it. Delivery and tax will take the bargain out of a lot of sale items. I do not purchase anything from Cabelas anymore, unless I am in a store and can avoid shipping. Being as they have a store in this state, now, they tack on the tax at the local store rate which is higher than the rest of the state, and I just dont see the need to support their local economy.

I am a Brownells dealer, and get their discount, but even with that, they are more expensive than other online sources. I do order a lot of parts from them though because their customer support is primo.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 06-16-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
I was looking at getting ammo online at cheaperthandirt.com

As a sample, I put a single box of cheap ammo of fifty 40 S&W rounds in my shopping cart. I put in my zip code (Northern Il.) and the shipping fee was approx $16 plus the price of a single box of ammo (50 rounds).

Its not clear, why anyone would buy ammo online with shipping rates that cost as much as the product. My question- is this the way they all operate? Do I need to buy 10 boxes to get a decent per round cost?

Thanks flw
I buy online but I buy bulk because of the shipping costs. Putting that aside several of these online suppliers are quick and dependable. Some shipping costs are cheaper than others. One would have to shop around.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

http://www.ammoman.com/

Check these guys out, there is no shipping charge. The listed price is the price delivered to your door.

They will even split an order for you. We just bought 5000 rounds and they split it for me, sending half to me and half to my shooting bud in South Carolina. I use these guys all the time because of no shipping and no tax.

They have a special on .30-06 right now, delivered to your door at $.625 per round. Also .223 62 gr HP set on your doorstep for 27c per shot at the 1000 rate.

I like the way that all of their prices includes shipping and no tax. It comes in a brown box with a return address "FROM ERIC". I like that too.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Check out this link. I use this for a quick comparison.

http://www.gun-deals.com/

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Good Good Good! Between Brownell's and Ammoman, I dropped by order and awaiting delivery and cheaper than where I was purchasing before!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

A buddy of mine and I will combine our orders of powder, primers and ammo and divide it out when it gets here. Way, way cheaper than gun shows and ten times cheaper than LGS.

If you aren't going to buy enough to maximize your dollar then get together with some local buds.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #18

I bought 250 rnds of Rio, 20 ga, .00, 2 3/4 at Ammunitionstore .com last month for $125 + $14 shipping. I usually use Ammoseek tofind the cheapest prices then go to the site and make an order to find out what the shipping will be. I f I think the shipping is too high I just don't submit the order. That way you can eventually find the true lowest price for the ammo you want. What one poster said about Cabella's free and $5 shipping is true too. I picked up a 1000 rnds of Herter 7.62 at a great price and free shipping about 6 mos ago. The only bad thing is that since I'm in Tx and Cabella's is in Tx too I had to pay the sales tax. The same thing anytime I buy anything from CTD.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #19

Same here, and since they put Cabelas on a private freeway exit, then the city tacked on an extra percent of sales tax on them to pay for that exit. So if you order from Cabelas in Kansas, you get to pay the Wichita rate plus the bump up, and it comes to 9.5% tax. There are better options.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #20

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Same here, and since they put Cabelas on a private freeway exit, then the city tacked on an extra percent of sales tax on them to pay for that exit. So if you order from Cabelas in Kansas, you get to pay the Wichita rate plus the bump up, and it comes to 9.5% tax. There are better options.
I order from Cabela's quite often and have never paid sales tax. I live in Ohio, and didn't realize that there was sales tax when ordering online. I also always wait to get free shipping, which they periodically have. They had free shipping just before fathers day on orders over $99. I had 1,000 .45 acp bullets delivered at no charge.