Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Buying ammo online and shipping (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/buying-ammo-online-shipping-66424/)

flw 06-14-2012 09:50 PM

Buying ammo online and shipping

I was looking at getting ammo online at cheaperthandirt.com

As a sample, I put a single box of cheap ammo of fifty 40 S&W rounds in my shopping cart. I put in my zip code (Northern Il.) and the shipping fee was approx $16 plus the price of a single box of ammo (50 rounds).

Its not clear, why anyone would buy ammo online with shipping rates that cost as much as the product. My question- is this the way they all operate? Do I need to buy 10 boxes to get a decent per round cost?

Thanks flw

mountainman13 06-14-2012 09:54 PM

If you're just gonna buy one box, why not just go to your lgs or Walmart?

okdonk 06-14-2012 10:15 PM

U need to compare prices between online retailers. There are reputable retailers like cheaperthandirt, sgammo, luckygunner, sportsmansguide, palmettostatearmory and aimsurplus. Each retailer has its own price or shipping fee. They don't force you to buy, we just have to be smarter by knowing how much the average good price of the ammo. If im buying ammo, i always bulk, at least 3-500 rounds. I have good experiences with PSA, luckygunner, sportsmansguide and luckygunner. I always find out how much my net price per round first (Ammo cost + shipping fee). Some online retailers have free shipping special, PSA have everything free shipping last week, maybe still on now.
Be smart, spend your hard well earned money.

Axxe55 06-14-2012 10:21 PM

many times where the savings come in is when you buy in bulk amounts. the more you buy, the greater the price break is per round nad the shipping is usually the same as if you bought one box of ammo.

i buy some loaded ammo through MidwayUSA, when i order other firearms related items and i already know i will be paying shipping anyways.

gatorwest 06-14-2012 10:31 PM

I just keep going to Bass Pro Shops or Dick's. I really don't like supporting Walmart much.

beaglesam 06-14-2012 10:31 PM

Check out Cabela's once a week you will occasionally find a good sale on ammo and free shipping or $5 shipping. What I don't understand is I tried to order a case (1,000) of CCI primers one time and they wanted to charge me $20 for hazardous material fee, but they don't for ammo.

Axxe55 06-14-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaglesam (Post 836470)
Check out Cabela's once a week you will occasionally find a good sale on ammo and free shipping or $5 shipping. What I don't understand is I tried to order a case (1,000) of CCI primers one time and they wanted to charge me $20 for hazardous material fee, but they don't for ammo.

loaded ammo is not considered Haz-Mat. primmers and powders are and the shipping companies charge the shipper, os the shipper tacks on the Haz_mat fee to recoup their costs. this is why, it's better to buy powder and primers locally to avoid the HazMat fees. now if you only bought them once a year and ordered a large amount at a good price break, then you could offset the HazMat fees.

BallisticSurgeon 06-14-2012 10:45 PM

I just ordered 500 rounds of 7.62 x 39, a tactical vest, and 75 rounds of 410 from cheaper than dirt and my shipping was right at $20 and it will be here in 3 days.

c3shooter 06-14-2012 10:49 PM

When you buy ammo, whether one cartridge or 1,000, UPS rears its head. There is a minimum shipping cost. Just sent 20 rounds of collector's ammo to a gent in Idaho. Package weighed 1.5 lbs, going UPS ground. $11.70

As he said up there, loaded ammo is not HAZMAT until you get over 66 lbs- it does not mass detonate. Primers by themselves CAN mass detonate.

LikeABoss 06-15-2012 12:11 AM

My last order for 1700 rounds from Able's was $77 or $2.25 more a box. My last order from Ammo to go was 1250 rounds for $41 or about $1.66 more per box. My last order from cheaper than dirt was for 50 boxes of ammo, $75 or about $1.50 more per box, all still cheaper than i could have purchased locally. Plus they bring it to my door!