Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bullet Weight not Found in Manuals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Default Bullet Weight not Found in Manuals

Found this trying to get data for my .30-40 using RL-15, Is it true? Could I use info from a 220 gr. bullet on a 180 gr. bullet? Sorry for all the questions but Im new to this and cant find specific data for any of my calibers using RL-15. Ive found data for .30-30, .30-06, .303 British, 8mm Mauser, etc.... But none for .30-40 or 7.7. I have around 4 lbs. of Rl-15 and I dont understand why I have to buy a new powder when its used in so many similar calibers?

Bullet Weight not Found in Manuals
Lee:
If the bullet weight you wish to load is not found in your favorite manual, it is safe to use loads listed for a heavier bullet weight and find a load for the powder you have. Using that load with the lighter bullet simply reduces the pressure, but the velocity remains approximately the same.

Speer:
The physics of loading cartridges indicates that a heavier bullet will build pressures faster than a lighter bullet owing to its mass. The greater mass of the heavier bullet resists change (acceleration) more than a lighter mass so the powder charges for the heavier bullet will nearly always be lower than those for the lighter bullet of the same construction. This indicates that, without other data to follow, the heavier bullet data can be used as a starting point for the lighter bullet.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Yes- data for a 220 gr CAN be used when loading 180. The reverse is NOT true.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2606 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The problem can be that the heavier bullet allows complete ignition with a slow burning powder. RL-15 is a fairly slow, but I have seen some data with 180 gr bullets and slower powders (4831 & 760)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

the reason you dont see powders listed in some loads but you do in others for the same caliber is they simply didnt test that combination for whatever reason. so they wont publish untested data for liability reasons.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Trez if you are looking to load powders in cartridges that they are not normally loaded in you need to invest in quickload.

OK Just because the powder works with the 220gr bullets (Per Hornady Manual). That does not mean it will work with ALL bullets. There are many different powder and many different cartridges out there. RL-15 is a great powder that works well in the 223 and the 308 along with other medium capacity cartridges. The standard 308 load for F-Class shooting in my neck of the woods is 42gr of RL-15 under a 175gr SMK.

Just because you have a lot of powder doesn't mean you can use it in everything you own. I use a different powder in just about every rifle. My Remmy 700 in 223 loves varget and VV N133 for 50gr loads. My AR loves AA 2015 under 60gr V-Max bullets.

If there is no load data for a specif bullet cartridge combo then there is a reason. It didn't work. It either produced excessive pressure or not enough. A load that doesn't create enough pressure is just as dangerous as one that creates excessive pressure.

I want to warn you and tell you to clam down a little and do lots of reading. I am glad you are on here asking questions. For now lets stick to what is listed in the manuals.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I found what books have the .30-40 data im looking for but I dont have 'em, would someone be so kind and look it up for me?
Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Edition has listings for a 150 gr. Sierra Jacketed SBT and a 180 gr. Speer Jacketed SP. The Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 7th & 8th Editions have a 220 gr. Hornady RN with fps ranging from 1,600 to 1,900. All using RL-15.

Now that I know I can use Rl-15 in my levers.. What powder would be good for me to get next? The next calibers would be the 7.7x58 and 7.62x54. They should use a similar powder, shouldnt they? Everybody seems to have the ones they prefer, Ive been told unique, trail boss, 2400, 4895, etc.. Some of those are pistol powders arnt they???

One of you guys need to do a "What powder is right for me" sticky.........

Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I don't know about anyone else but my guns are possessed, and what works for one, the other does not like at all. The old Ruger M77v I had liked BL-C #2 powder with 150ish gr HPBT Bullets, where this Howa I got really loves the RL-15 with 168gr HPBT Match Bullets