Bullet type matter as long as same weight? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Bullet type matter as long as same weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your calibers are capable of velocities greater than 1000 fps and you are limiting your cast loads to 1000, you are missing out on a whole lot of great shooting. The calibers you listed above are all primarily sub-1000fps calibers with the exception of the 9mm. If the boolit fits the barrel well (.001-.002 over groove diameter), you can take a fairly soft lead boolit up to 1400+ fps without leading and without a gas check (if you are within pressure limitations).

Different styles of bullets will have different seating depth requirements. So, style of bullet MAY make a difference when loading.

redscho Likes This 
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Pushing lead too fast results in shearing. Lead will build up in the rifling, destroying accuracy and possibly causing over pressure.

But slicker is kind of right
also if pushed too fast with a fast burning powder without a gas check can cause the base to melt and deform, possibly ruining accuracy.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #13

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
When reloading pistol ammuntion does it matter the type of bullet as long as they are the same weight. Example, Can I use the same loading data for a 125 gr Lead Round Nose as I can for a 125 gr Full Metal Jacket? I know that loading lead one should stay under 1000 fps.
You can use low end jacketed data with cast. But as in all things reloading, you need to use caution. Cast & jacketed data tend to overlap all other things being equal. Stay away from heavier loads if you're just "Guesstimating."
Another option I've used on occasion is to use the "next size up" cast data. For instance, if you know that 3.5 gr to 5.5 gr of XYZ powder is safe with a 180 gr cast bullet, then you can be pretty comfortable in knowing that your 170 gr bullet should be safe within those limits. You have now at least got a sensible starting point from which to work. Though in this example, I'd probably start with say, 3.8 gr, just to avoid being too light.

If you like to mess with cast bullets a lot, hunt down a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook 4th edition. It's worth every cent.
As mentioned previously, the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is a helpful source. It's a compilation of data from other sources, so detail is a bit thin and may also be a bit dated, so I prefer to cross reference data from other sources as much as possible. But it's rare that you can't find something in it for what you're loading. It's also cheap.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
redscho Likes This