Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bullet seating tolerances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Bullet seating tolerances

I have just started reloading .45auto and have a bit of variation in the seating depth. The spec's call for 1.275 overall length and some are coming up short. I would think that being .005 inch short would not be a real problem, but how short is too short? The reloads are .45 auto, 230gr fmj bullet and 5 gr of Bullseye. It will be used in a 1911 pistol. Would the problems be with gas pressure or unreliable feeding?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Measure a factory load, the Remington's measure 1.265 to 1.27. Mine measure 1.268 and shoot great.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

That sounds good. I sorted mine by length and decided arbitrarily that I could use all of them from 1.270 to 1.277 length. Additionally more were sorted in a group of 1.265 to 1.269 length. The shorter ones will be dealt with later with a bullet puller. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

seating dies generally work off the ogive not the very tip of the bullet. in the case of things like flat nose bullets they work off the tip. but for conical round nose or spitzer type its the ogive. thats why you see a slight variation. when setting a seating die you can pick a bullet with a median length or just pick one and set the die.

some dies come with two seating stems. a flat and round. the round ones use the ogive for seating and flat the nose of the bullet.

the slight variation wont matter unless your being super anal grognardish about it.

if you use a bullet comparator and chamber gage you can seat more accuratly when getting an exact seating depth to match a gun's headspace. you want to be a little off the lands. this is really only important for making super accurate target rifle ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
grognardish
LMAO! Love it!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

seating just off the lands or just touching the lands is what you're looking for with rifles. For pistols, you will be limited to the longest length that will fit in your magazine. The 1.275 OAL is for Max length. If you seat to max length, they will probably still fit in the mags for a 1911. If I remember correctly, mine did but a few were very close to hanging up. The problem is trying to unload an unfired round from the chamber. If your bullets are seated to the max oal, they are not coming through the ejection port without a fight. Trust me, it's not something you wanna be fussing with at the range. If you set your seat depth to 1.250, you will find that they will cycle and unload (unfired) smoothly. If you want to go longer for whatever reason, make a few dummy rounds first at the lengths you are aiming for and then test them in the gun at your reloading bench to make sure they cycle. Having a loaded round that doesn't wanna eject at the range when it needs to wouldn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
LMAO! Love it!
lol you dont know the true meaning till you run into a bench rest shooter that shoots one hole groups at 4 miles heh. those guys know how to build ammo to very exacting standards.

i used to be pretty anal about sorting weighing measuring but it just gets old and takes the fun out for me. but i dont begrudge the folks that enjoy that level of precision. there is enough range space for everyone

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The .45 ACP is a very forgiving cartridge. A couple of thousandths of an inch do matter a hill of beans. Save the Anal Retentive OCD stuff for precision rifles.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice. I am really new to this , so I will have more than a few questions to ask.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The different manufacturers list the cartridge overall length(C.O.A.L.) for the bullets they tested with powder charges. There is often quite a variance with the C.O.A.L. in the different manuals for bullets of the same weight and design type. I have listed some different C.O.A.L. measurements for the .45acp 230-grain RN from a few manuals I have. I use this bullet weight for my .45acp loads and I usually just stick with the C.O.A.L. listed in the manual for the brand of bullet I am using at the time. Good luck with your reloading.

Sierra - 1.270"
Hornady - 1.230"
Speer - 1.260"
Lyman - 1.275"