Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Bullet jump,seating depth & powder charge ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/bullet-jump-seating-depth-powder-charge-22076/)

ah141nj 01-11-2010 11:54 PM

Bullet jump,seating depth & powder charge ???

In my quest for suitable round for my AR, I am diving into the uncharted waters of the infamous OAL/seating depth guage.

But which comes first?
Do you experiment with various powder charges then various OAL depths using a seating guage...or
Do I adjust the seating depth first, maybe .15 to start then experiment with powder loads.

I am using a Hornady seating depth/OAL guage & a Hornady comparator if that eases your minds. I will measuring at the ogive.

cpttango30 01-12-2010 12:23 AM

first I find my bullet for my 223 I setteled on a 50gr V-max for ar it will be different.

I then find 2 or 3 powders I like, varget, Re10x, Benchmark, AA XMR2015 are some of the ones I have used.

Then I load a ladder of 5 each at .5gr intervals then I take the most accurate out of that lot then I go up and down by .2 gr increments. Once I find the most accurate load there then I start messing with the OAL. To start I will measure and just go .040" off the lands. Then once all other variables are taken care of I start on the OAL. the OAL is the last step in the process for me.

res45 01-12-2010 12:50 AM

+1 on what cpttango30 said,don't throw different variations in the mix all at once. There is a combination that each gun likes,sometime you get lucky but most times you have to narrow it down one component and one adjustment at a time.

ah141nj 01-12-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 211521)
first I find my bullet for my 223 I setteled on a 50gr V-max for ar it will be different.

Then I load a ladder of 5 each at .5gr intervals then I take the most accurate out of that lot then I go up and down by .2 gr increments. Once I find the most accurate load there then I start messing with the OAL. To start I will measure and just go .040" off the lands. Then once all other variables are taken care of I start on the OAL. the OAL is the last step in the process for me.

The 50 gr Vmax is what I was trying out. Used H335, H322 & BLC2 with starting points at 10% lower than max in .3 increments till max.
Had the best results with H322 from 22.7 to 24.2 grs. I know its a wide margine, most of it was probably my fault. Actually, I think 23.9 was my best.

I am now looking to "fine tune" using seating depth powder adjustment.

.040 of the lands? isnt that a lot? my lands measurement was 2.010
less .040 would be 1.97 at the ogive & 2.35 in OAL...way to long for a
magazine

Does 2.010 sound about right?

cpttango30 01-12-2010 01:41 PM

My bad it is .020" off the lands I start with.

I had to check my load listings.

I forget what mine measured and i am at work. If I get a chance tonight I will bundle up and head out to the relaoding room and check some stuff.

Remember my gun is also a bolt action remmy 700 so YMMV.

Highpower 01-14-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah141nj (Post 211610)
.040 of the lands? isnt that a lot? my lands measurement was 2.010
less .040 would be 1.97 at the ogive & 2.35 in OAL...way to long for a
magazine

Depends on the bullet. I use Tango's method as well. But when I am loading Sierra 80 gr MatchKings for my AR, .020" off the lands translates to an OAL of 2.555" in MY rifle. But those bullets aren't designed to be fed from the magazine. Sometimes you just have to go with whatever it takes to get the rounds to fit in the magazine (ie. 77gr) and not worry about the jump to the lands. Example: 300 yd rapid fire strings in Highpower rifle competition.

robocop10mm 01-14-2010 01:04 PM

Loading for an AR is very different than loading for a bolt gun. You will not likely get very close to the rifling AND have a load that will fit in the magazine. Most AR's have a fairly long throat. I would load just short enough to reliably feed from the mag. For the best accuracy you will have to load the ammo into the gun one at a time.

Highpower 01-14-2010 05:42 PM

+1
I've never seen it stated better than that.

Your sure do talk purdy Robo. :D

Communication is not one of my better skills. :o