bullet casting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > bullet casting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bullet casting

looking for info on casting pistol bullets. have 357 and 44 molds and lots of wheel weights. melting pot ordered but am semi/unfamiliar with process of
adding flux and getting it all ready for pouring. is this all that involved or am i panicking? any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, rb

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #2

You may want to pick up a book on casting to help you out. There are a few things that the book will make easier like proper temperature and what the appearance of the finished bullet should like etc. Most books will also give ratios of pure lead to antimony to change the hardness of the bullet. There's also info on gas checking and lubing/ sizing. Most important even though obvious, thing is... VENTILATION... Don't melt your lead in the basement without a good source of ventilation and fresh air. I know it sounds like common sense but... well, at one point I guess I lacked common sense as proper ventilation slipped my mind once.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The Cast Bullet Handbook by (I believe) Lyman is a great resource. Get it. Read it. Cover to cover and you will have a great starting point. In 20 years you will still be learning.

+1 on every thing else.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9168 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Many reloading manuals will have a section on casting- and check the Lee Precision website for instructions- Lee makes a nice bottom tap pot. Do save the cut-off sprues, and out of spec or wrinkled/ frosty bullets- they get recast (but wait until pot is cold- they go in the NEXT melt- splashes). Besides ventilation, remember that lead is HOT- and does not get along well with water getting into the pot (think about water getting into a frying pan of hot shortening- but with attitude) ALSO- pay attention to personal hygiene- do not eat, drink, or smoke while handling lead- or until you go wash well with soap and water. Lead- and lead oxide- will transfer to you skin, and can not only be inhaled, but ingested. And last, but most important- DO NOT use Mom's kitchen range as a heat source. BIG domestic tranquility issue here. Trust me on this one, OK ? )

Old 05-23-2008, 01:54 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Head on over to Cast Boolits. There is a bunch of info over there.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"In 20 years you will still be learning." Robo is right about this.

Casting usable bullets is easy enough but even that requires experience. Casting GOOD bullets requires a LOT of experience AND knowledge. Experience/knowledge can be shared in books and on the web but learning to apply what others can tell you will take time and effort on your part.