Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bulk reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bulk reloads

I recently purchased 1000 rounds of reloaded .45 acp online. I have yet to have any issues with malfunctions and I'm about 200 rounds into the pile but I have several friends that swear against buying reloads. Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2147 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Recomm,

That is good! And if you have good reloads that is great coming from a reliable reloader. Even factory rounds that they are producing at an ungodly rate today can have serious problems. However more guns are blown up by reloads each year than by any other source.
Followed by bullets being pushed back into the case and then the shooter going ahead and firing them. When they do they are just asking for a catastrophic event! " Blow Up!"

Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally I see nothing wrong in buying and shooting reloads. Georgia Arms is one of our biggest vendors for reloaded ammo as well as components. I believe most of the issues with reloads blowing up guns has to do with poor attention to detail or by the reloader running too hot a load through his weapon when it was noit designed for it. Kinda like running NoS through a VW Beetle... Not designed to do that from the factory.

Anywho, most reloaders will keep track of what they are doing and will measure every tenth round to make sure they are not double loading on powder or will just make sure they are being consistent. But if you already have a reputable vendor like Georgia Arms in your area..? I say go for it.

And I've experienced bad OEM ammo over the years to know that they are not infalable...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

I haven't looked into a local reloader but I'll get on that. It's seems like the consensus is that the main issue could possibly be hot loads blowing the gun up. How hot are we talking? Can I just get a match barrel and call it good? How can I tell if the company makes quality reloads?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
I haven't looked into a local reloader but I'll get on that. It's seems like the consensus is that the main issue could possibly be hot loads blowing the gun up. How hot are we talking? Can I just get a match barrel and call it good? How can I tell if the company makes quality reloads?
I found out about Georgia Arms from web surfing and at our local gun shows. As far as your "hot load" question... It all comes down to preasures and several other factors like powder types etc.. Best thing I could recommend is to look through reloading manuals and to also check out sites like Handloads.com. They provide ballistic information and reload data from folks like me who roll their own (so to speak).. Mounting a match barrel is not the answer. Most times (not sure since it's not happened to me ever) it's chamber over preasure that leads to failure and the "exploded" gun..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"