Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > bulk lead from car batteries?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man that warehouse shot is a bullet casters Fort Knox. Seriously though I sell old batteries at the scrap yard and get from $5 to $8 per battery depending on the size.

In turn I usually buy scrap roofers sheet lead at 30 cents per lb.,they have wheel weights but there a mix of lead,steel and zinc weights and when you bring back the non usable weight you want get what you paid for them in the first place. With the sheet lead I know what I have and can alloy it accordingly.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
Man that warehouse shot is a bullet casters Fort Knox. Seriously though I sell old batteries at the scrap yard and get from $5 to $8 per battery depending on the size.

In turn I usually buy scrap roofers sheet lead at 30 cents per lb.,they have wheel weights but there a mix of lead,steel and zinc weights and when you bring back the non usable weight you want get what you paid for them in the first place. With the sheet lead I know what I have and can alloy it accordingly.
Back in his casting days, my dad used to use rolls of lead roof flashing as well. He still has a few hundred pounds of ingots of different mixtures laying around. Used to pour them into old muffin tins and mark the ingot as to the type of alloy. He has all kinds of pure lead solder, wheel weights, tinned solder, etc. to make specific alloys. I am thinking about trying to buy his stuff...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #13

Living on the gulf coast, it's not uncommon to go to boat ramps and often occupied road side fishing holes and find discarded cast nets the have been left because of torn mesh and or cut ropes. Just as older wheel weights, the older nets have lead weights just as similar in regards to composition/alloy mix.

So if you happen to come across an abandoned net at you favorite fishing hole, I'd snatch it up and cut the lead off. If all else, put them in a cheese cloth sack and use it for a trout line anchor.

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Back in his casting days, my dad used to use rolls of lead roof flashing as well. He still has a few hundred pounds of ingots of different mixtures laying around. Used to pour them into old muffin tins and mark the ingot as to the type of alloy. He has all kinds of pure lead solder, wheel weights, tinned solder, etc. to make specific alloys. I am thinking about trying to buy his stuff...
Sounds like a bullet caster dream find,since you father was a caster I'm sure he could give you some pointers on the alloy mix's for various uses in casting if you don't already know that. I just picked up a whole 5 gal. bucket of 65/35 Tin/Lead bar solder for a friend who's father was a plumber,he had no need of it and I offered to pay for it but he just gave it to me helping clean out the old building. I've been using it to alloy up my pure lead for some 30:1 gas checked hunting bullets. I like the muffin pans as well they make some nice ingots that fit in the Lee pot very nicely.

Justin.223 you might want to look into any old trashed sailboats you find around,many of them use lead as ballast in the Keil which can contain as much a 500 lbs. of lead.

Last edited by res45; 02-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
Man that warehouse shot is a bullet casters Fort Knox.

In turn I usually buy scrap roofers sheet lead at 30 cents per lb., accordingly.

Where do you get the scrap roofers sheet lead?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperhound View Post
Where do you get the scrap roofers sheet lead?
At the local scrap yard near my house,most scrap yards will sell you lead or lead alloy if they have some. I make a trip over there about every couple months and take aluminum cans,old batteries and other scrap metals,appliances,car parts and computers people throw out. Last time I was over there I got a sheet folded up that that weighed about 35 lbs. for $11,that and a few of my Tin bars will make me 1500+ 158 gr. 38 cal. bullets or 1400+ 170 gr. rifle bullets.