Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bulk Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I dont mind shooting Glocks but do I do not shoot reloads in Glock. Jovan

Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #12

1. IF you want to shoot reloads in ANY Glock..get a replacement barrel that has been properly heat treated and you will have NO problems. All the after-market barrels except Glock are good.

2. HSM is JUNK ! period. I don't care if Cabellas is DUMB enough to sell it.

In Colorado, they just lost ALL their LE from Blowing up a BRAND NEW Colt M-4 223 in one PD and an entire County Contract from 45acp and 223 that either would not chamber or function reliably in 45acps from Colt 1911 's to Les Baer 1911's. They have little quality control. They could not get thru a mag of HSM 223 without a jam.

They HAVE been around for years and I have sold hundereds of thousands of
rounds of their ammo in the past 25+ years in the business. NOT now...is it not safe to shoot. We examined many rounds from a Sheriff's Department and the velocity varied over 100FPS round to round and the OAL length varied far too much.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #13

Not only does Glock advise against using reloads, they also tell you not to shoot unjacketed lead loads. This is because the polyagonal rifling in their barrels gets leaded up rather quickly and that raises pressures above safe limits, which can cause a case-head blowout (aka Kaboom)
I shoot lead reloads all the time in my G27, but I use a KKM Precision aftermarket barrel. It has conventional rifling and a much tighter chamber which fully supports the case head. I only use the stock barrel for my carry loads which are Factory Jacketed.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies. I do have an aftermarket barrel. It is an EFK ported.

Last edited by Doug1627; 01-28-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #15

Default Reloaded Ammunition

Police agencies use reloaded ammunition all the time. Watch for ammunition reloaded to Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) standards. Lightly loaded target rounds and ammunition loaded to the same velocities as commercial ammunition can be generally regarded as safe.

As an experienced reloader, I can say that 9mm handguns are especially problematic with high powered reloads. Under 125 grain bullets, the 9 x 19mm cartridge can be loaded up close to .357 Magnum velocities. The problem is that 9mm bore diameters vary from .350" to .370". High powered loads developed in a larger bore are unsafe in smaller bore. I cracked the grips on a S&W Model 39 learning this lesson.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #16

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

i have found www.ammonow.com to be useful in locating an online store with good prices...

i always have to check each store to make sure they will sell to a chicago addressed FOID...kind of lame- some do and some dont, so i often miss out on some good sale prices.

i have found MidwayUSA usually has good prices...

www.ammunitiontogo.com. is great -recently scored a bunch of 9mm and .223 for about $0.28 and $0.39 a rnd with S&H which is pretty good.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut2000 View Post
First off yes reloaded ammo voids your warranty. Next if your shooting a Glock I wouldn't reload or shoot it for any reason. Their chambers are not fully supported. That means the case is not tight in the chamber and have more chance to let the pressures out.
1. <start calm soft voice> All firearms manufacturers' warranties state that the warranty is voided if a person uses re-loaded ammo. That covers the company from any liability should the user stuff a super hot round into the chamber. IMHO, a person would have to be nuts to do so, with or without a warranty restriction. There are safe ways to work up loads, and smart people go that route, as I am sure gunnut does.

2. The Gen 1 Glock .40 S&W was the only model I am aware of that had support problems. Those issues have been fixed to the extent that they caused problems. I know this because I reload for my Gen 3 Glock 23. If you mic the case of a .40 S&W that has been fired by a Gen 3 Glock, you can measure a very few thousandths of bulge near the case head. In all instances where this has occurred with ammo I loaded/shot (or hot factory ammo that I then re-loaded), the cases have re-sized without problems and have continued to be re-loadable. No splits, no work hardening. As stated elsewhere, I am not a professional re-loader or attorney. All I know is what has worked for me. <end calm soft voice>

Sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. I refuse to be a sheep. I am not a wolf. Only one option left as I see it.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have ordered from http://georgia-arms.com with good luck. I have a full case of .40 S&W and a half case of match grade .223 that have both been flawless so far. I will likely order from them again when they get .38 components back in stock.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #19

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been reloading 40 S&W for my Glock 23 for over 10 years with the original barrel. Load it correctly, inspect the brass closely and use the proper equipment to reload the rounds and follow the Powder MFG specs and you won't have any problems.

Now as far as Re-Manufactures Ammo, I have tried some, with no problems and I have a friend that for years have used it exclusively with no problems.

Next you should ask - Have I ever blown up a weapon because of improper reloading - YES and it did cost me alot of money to get it fixed.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #20

For the uninitiated, the "support issue" that everyone is talking about is this. When a Browning style gun is locked and ready for firing, there is a small portion of the case wall that is not enclosed by the barrel. You can see this by removing the slide and barrel, inserting an empty or fired case into the chamber then manually moving the barrel to the locked position. When you look up the feed ramp, you can see part of the cartridge case exposed.

In the Colt 1911, the feed ramp was very conservative. Later manufacturers designed considerably larger feed ramps for their guns. Some believe that cases should be complete enclosed when firing. Others are more accepting of larger feed ramps.

From my experience, this "support issue" is even a form of safety feature. In the event of a barrel blockage or an overloaded cartridge, the case will blow out down the feed ramp. It will crack the grips on the gun and sting your hand but you are likely to have all your appendages & eyes. Depending in the cause, you will have to replace the grips and maybe a magazine. Far better than having to replace barrel and slide.

Firearms warranties are one of those equivocal issues. Firearms manufacturers will immediately fix safety issues, functional issues under duress but lots of luck trying to collect if your new gun blows to pieces with the first box of factory ammunition. The gun manufacturerer will blame you and the ammunition. The ammunition manufacturer will, of course, blame you and the gun manufacturer. Absent major injuries which would support a a civil suit, you're probably better off to find out what happened, replace the gun and go on.