Bulk .40 S&W Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bulk .40 S&W Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bulk .40 S&W Question

I'm looking to get some trigger time on my new XDm .40. What would you recommend for some affordable, reliable, and clean ammo to shoot in bulk?

I'd like to keep my gun in good shape so I'd prefer bronze or brass... other than that I don't know what to get.

My local Dick's Sporting Goods had a "Buy one, get one 1/2 off" sale on Remington UMC 180gr. FMJ ammo. I got 200 rounds for 60 bucks... it was a decent price. I shot 200 rounds of the Remington UMC and another 50 of White Box Winchester 165gr. FMJ without any failures, jams, etc.., etc...

Needless to say, my gun was DIIIIIIRTY. Is that dirty ammo?

Again, what would you recommend for range shooting? Where to shop?

Last edited by VXASUXV; 06-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXASUXV View Post
I'm looking to get some trigger time on my new XDm .40. What would you recommend for some affordable, reliable, and clean ammo to shoot in bulk?

I'd like to keep my gun in good shape so I'd prefer brass... other than that I don't know what to get.

My local Dick's Sporting Goods had a "Buy one, get one 1/2 off" sale on Remington UMC 180gr. FMJ ammo. I got 200 rounds for 60 bucks... it was a decent price. I shot 200 rounds of the Remington UMC and another 50 of White Box Winchester 165gr. FMJ without any failures, jams, etc.., etc...

Needless to say, my gun was DIIIIIIRTY. Is that dirty ammo?

Again, what would you recommend for range shooting? Where to shop?
I use WWB bulk or Federal from Walmart. Kinda dirty but I clean after each range trip anyway. A buildup after 250 rounds is normal...as long as the residue doesn't prevent the gun from operating I wouldn't consider that to be excessively dirty ammo.

Normally I just shop around for the best prices with weekly trips to Wallyworld and my area gunshops. Buds, Impact, Cabelas, Sportsmens Guide, Midway, etc also have weekly sales and promotions. If a particular caliber is on sale I'll pick up a few boxes. This way I build a cache over time...There is also a link on the forum, SlickGuns.com I believe, that assembles the lowest prices available. I recently picked up 2500 rnd of .22lr for $72

How did the 180gr shoot? How was the recoil in the XDm, I have a XD .40 and generally shoot the 165 gr loads.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I use WWB bulk or Federal from Walmart. Kinda dirty but I clean after each range trip anyway. A buildup after 250 rounds is normal...as long as the residue doesn't prevent the gun from operating I wouldn't consider that to be excessively dirty ammo.

Normally I just shop around for the best prices with weekly trips to Wallyworld and my area gunshops. Buds, Impact, Cabelas, Sportsmens Guide, Midway, etc also have weekly sales and promotions. If a particular caliber is on sale I'll pick up a few boxes. This way I build a cache over time...There is also a link on the forum, SlickGuns.com I believe, that assembles the lowest prices available. I recently picked up 2500 rnd of .22lr for $72

How did the 180gr shoot? How was the recoil in the XDm, I have a XD .40 and generally shoot the 165 gr loads.
I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleanliness so the first thing I did after shooting was clean the gun. As mentioned earlier, although the gun was dirty, I didn't have any malfunctions whatsoever.

I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for deals.

With regards to the recoil, the 180gr. was manageable but you could tell a difference between the 165 and the 180. My hands were getting tired after a while and I found myself dipping my shots with the 180gr. (I was anticipating the recoil or pushing into the shot too much... I need to work on that). The 165gr. was definitely easier/quicker to sight into the target after a shot.

I'll be completely honest, I'm not a good shot. Here's what my groupings looked like with the Remington UMC 180 FMJ @ 9 yards. Again, I was dipping my shots.

Gotta love the 16 round mags =)

Last edited by VXASUXV; 06-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

AmmoEngine: .45 ACP, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

will show lowest price per round and who is selling it !

Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Unfortunately if you OCD is that bad, you picked the wrong sport. Your guns are going to get dirty with any ammo, just stay away from Wolf or Tula

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the link. I found some half-way decent prices on there. I'll have to check out the shipping costs and see if it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Unfortunately if you OCD is that bad, you picked the wrong sport. Your guns are going to get dirty with any ammo, just stay away from Wolf or Tula
LoL. Well, I wouldn't say OCD, but I am very particular about how things are.
Normal wear is expected and that's fine... but if my gun's finish were to get dinged as a result of carelessness (or something like that) then I might stress a little. That's just me.

Stay away from Wolf or Tula? Got it.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXASUXV View Post
LoL. Well, I wouldn't say OCD, but I am very particular about how things are.
Normal wear is expected and that's fine... but if my gun's finish were to get dinged as a result of carelessness (or something like that) then I might stress a little. That's just me.

Stay away from Wolf or Tula? Got it.
I'm the same. None of my firearms I bought new have a scratch on them, just normal wear from firing. I could sell my M&P I bought new five years ago for LNIB. If I replaced the barrel, it would look NIB.

The one and only time I shot Tula, it was through my AR-15. After 100 rounds, it wouldn't cycle due to the amount of junk in the chamber. I ended up having to quit for the day because the bolt was frozen solid, had to do the old reverse-cleaning-rod trick.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!