Brown Bear Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brown Bear Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brown Bear Ammo

I have had mixed results concerning Brown Bear. I am not one who is afraid to clean my weapon so all the talk about it being to dirty is a load of horse hokey in my opinion. I shoot a AR-10A4 (.308) and it feeds in and out just fine (for the most part) out of about 800 rds that i have fired i have had 2 or 3 rds mis function, primers would fall out or the steel would not extract properly do to swelling from gases and seizing in the breech. Now for the most part i don't mind the ammo since i'm the one paying for it, but with that said it would not be my first choice to go to combat with. Weapon systems such as the AR's have inherent problems to begin with, but they can be made much worse by sub par ammunition. I have about 2000 rds stock piled of Brown Bear but I would not take it to combat unless its my last option. It shoots straight feeds relatively well and stores for a good long while so in conclusion, great stock ammo for the OH **** scenario but if you can acquire better do so.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I don't shoot the caliber you do, but brown bear is something I use for plinking. Silver Bear is much better and is usually only a buck more a box for the Makarov.

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got some Brown Bear in .410 2 3/4" Buckshot, the shell casing is steel w/ brass coating and Damn they are hotter loads. I gave some to a guy, I watched his Taurus (which was rated for 3" Mag .410 shell) Judge lock up on every shot, with the Wolf Ammo. If you ever saw a Taurus Revolver Lock-Up, it is the definition of scary, to me. Cylinder won't move, I watched the guy hold open the Cyl Latch and beat the cyl open with a 2x4 each of 5 shots...

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-11-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: What's It To You? Heh Heh

Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Well, I don't shoot the caliber you do, but brown bear is something I use for plinking. Silver Bear is much better and is usually only a buck more a box for the Makarov.
So you like the silver bear then. I was thinking of trying it out. How dose the zinc act in your weapon?

Last edited by Norseviking; 12-12-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I got some Brown Bear in .410 2 3/4" Buckshot, the shell casing is steel w/ brass coating and Damn they are hotter loads. I gave some to a guy, I watched his Taurus (which was rated for 3" Mag .410 shell) Judge lock up on every shot, with the Wolf Ammo. If you ever saw a Taurus Revolver Lock-Up, it is the definition of scary, to me. Cylinder won't move, I watched the guy hold open the Cyl Latch and beat the cyl open with a 2x4 each of 5 shots...
I think you might have been wise to tell him to stop firing that ammo out of that judge after the second malfunction.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseviking View Post
So you like the silver bear then. I was thinking of trying it out. How dose the zinc act in your weapon?
I've had no trouble with Silver Bear at all. No fouling problems or ftfs. At the most I get one dud per two or three boxes. Of course my Bulgy Mak was prolly made with this ammo in mind so take it as you will.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseviking View Post
I think you might have been wise to tell him to stop firing that ammo out of that judge after the second malfunction.
I told him the ammo was a 2 3/4" but was hotter than any 3" .410 shell I had ever fired. He was the owner of a pawnshop and had bought the gun to sell in his shop. My ethics do not allow me to fire a new gun & still sell it as "New"
He did not suffer the same affliction as I.