You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Brasso in the Tumbler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brasso on casings

Just signed in to this website, so not sure on the ROE or protocol. Anyway, used some Brasso on some green tip military surplus ammo (higher pressure I assume). Read the other blogs on using Brasso.......got it......... don't use. If I don't intend on reloading the brass is it o.k. to shoot or not?

Second question; If it is o.k. to shoot, (just not reload), will it hurt my aluminum magazines if stored in them?

What about vacuum sealing thirty rounds in my Magpul magazines. Anyone know if it would be worth it or if it would help with corrosion?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #22

Liked 156 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have been to a comercial brass company and watched them dump Brasso into the media in a HUGE tumbler
I started adding a few drops to the media in my tumbler after that
In the 8+ years I have been adding Brasso I have had no issues

Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTEKLLR View Post
Just signed in to this website, so not sure on the ROE or protocol. Anyway, used some Brasso on some green tip military surplus ammo (higher pressure I assume). Read the other blogs on using Brasso.......got it......... don't use. If I don't intend on reloading the brass is it o.k. to shoot or not?

Second question; If it is o.k. to shoot, (just not reload), will it hurt my aluminum magazines if stored in them?

What about vacuum sealing thirty rounds in my Magpul magazines. Anyone know if it would be worth it or if it would help with corrosion?

Thanks

I use walnut media with a couple tablespoons of red jewelers rouge. I get the walnut media at a pet store. They use it for snake tanks. It works great

Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #24
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2233 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 1683

Also a large difference in the application of "Brasso" in the cleaning/polishing of brass shells and candlesticks, door knobs, and belt buckles, is that the second set of items have a definite set and WIPE OFF time for anything that has a cavity ie: a brass shell the "Brasso" has to be removed thoroughly
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #25

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I use a wet tumbler, cant help ya...lol

Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #26

Liked 725 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I use a capful of "Berry's Brass Bright" with corn cob. Cases look like gold after two hours & no risk of weakened brass.

It's rather amusing to hear about people who make it a point to avoid using a product that is specifically designed for what they're doing. (Motor oil for gun oil, etc.) I guess some people want to feel they're "getting away with something."

Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #27

Liked 117 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Go to Dillon Precision and get their polishing compound. Just put two capfuls in with your media and your brass will come out super clean.

Clean brass goes into your gun a little faster and easier. Also, when you go to reload, it won't put scratches on your dies.

I tumble my brass after every shooting session. Just like cleaning your gun, it shows you care about your equipment.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brasso

I've never used Brasso for cleaning my brass, but had to use it when I was in the Army and it would shine our brass, but you would need to shine it again in about a week. I don't think i would ever use it to polish my reloading brass.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1952 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Look up, study, and understand dezincification.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #30

Liked 1790 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 816

I guess nobody cares that this thead was dead for over 7 years.

Damn grave diggers!
North American Hunting Club