Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brasso in the Tumbler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anyone ever try baking soda in tumbling media? I've been wondering about that.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I used Brasso for years. No problem if you let the ammonia evaporate first. I use Meguiars polish now.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #13

Default Cleaning and Polishing media seprately

Not the most particular reloader in the world but I am anal about some things. Accuracy comes 1st seperate from pretty brass, but clean builds confidence in your loads also. I found that I clean with Walnut media and Polish with Corn. Should there be very tarnished brass that needs to be cleaned, I add a couple of caps full of turpentine to the media. Cleans like a dream! Then polish with dillion, midway etc... polish. Just another oppinion but it is mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokel59 View Post
Just wondering if anyone uses Brasso in the tumbler to clean there brass? If so does it hurt the primers or the powder in long term storage?.... Thanks

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #14

Default brasso

I wonder what it does to all the bras candle sticks and othe bras products like water faucets??I have used it for longer than most of you have been alive.never had a problem and I know others who have too.any examples of damage??

Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #15

Never use ammonia to clean brass. I used Brasso for about 2 years and never saw any bad impact. However, when I stored the rounds for a few years the problems showed up. Upon firing I noticed a lot of split cases. The cases that didn't split on firing split during resizing. So I learned that ammonia is not good for brass, and I'm alive.

So, the real question becomes what cleans brass and does not cause a chemical reaction?

I now you mineral spirits and walnut shells. After 2 hours in the tumbler my brass is as clean as Brasso ever got it. If you put to much of the mineral spirits in the media just let it sit and it evaporates.

JoeD

Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCATT View Post
I wonder what it does to all the bras candle sticks and othe bras products like water faucets??I have used it for longer than most of you have been alive.never had a problem and I know others who have too.any examples of damage??
Your brass faucets are not holding back tens of thousands of pounds of pressure are they? if they are I gotta see them.

Brasso is bad for firearm brass If you don't want to believe it then fine.

When was the last time your candle sticks pushed a 50gr bullet to 3800fps?

You are talking about two totaly different things. My bunghole hasen't leaked in 33 years doesn't mean I can set a effing handgranade off in it and expect it to work for that as well. Just like you can't expect a Geo Metro to tow 80,000 # of cargo over the Rocky Mt.

Some times you just need to keep your mouth shut. It will make you look a lot smarter in the long run.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ammonia causes brass to harden and become brittle, hence the split case mouths mentioned. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, ammonia is a copper solvent. Ammonia is fine for removing copper fouling from barrels but not for brass cases.

Des

Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Brasso is cheaper then most auto waxs.."

I haven't bought any Brasso since my USAF days, long time ago, but I remember the cans were quite small. A full pint of Nu-Finish car polish sold for something like $6 in a Dollar Store last time I bought some.

Understand that liquid car wax IS not the same thing as auto polish. The waxes do tend to be more expensive and won't work nearly as well for tumbling.

Don't know a thing about stone polish or their grits but I wouldn't take a chance on firing any internal rock dust from a case down my bores.

Last edited by 1hole; 04-05-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You MAY be OK by allowing the Ammnonia to evaporate but I am unwilling to risk my safety by using any product likely to degrade the strength of cartridge brass when there are several good products available.

That was kinda my point. I wasn't trying to talk anyone into using Brasso. ??

But, like water in a wet shirt, when the liquid is gone, it's gone. There is no lethal ammonia residue waiting for a brass case to pounce on.

Last edited by 1hole; 04-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #20

Default brasso

I have used brasso and my cases are pistol and 30 yrs old.if you dont want to use it fine.I also dont load any thing till my ears ring.I am refering to pistol cases I have used 38/45.and in compitition since 69.stopped when I came here in 2000.
oh yes typical red neck.o well what can you expect.