Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Brasso in the Tumbler (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/brasso-tumbler-9638/)

yokel59 01-04-2009 07:42 AM

Brasso in the Tumbler

Just wondering if anyone uses Brasso in the tumbler to clean there brass? If so does it hurt the primers or the powder in long term storage?.... Thanks

Jay 01-04-2009 11:28 AM

I've only been reloading for a couple of years. That being said, I've been told by more than one long-time reloader, that Brasso, or any ammonia-based polish, tends to continue to affect the brass, and may cause issues over time. They wouldn't pin it down, but neither one of them uses it. Instead, they both use a bit of Flitz polish, commonly sold in gun shops. I've tried Flitz, and while it does polish nicely, I'm more inclined to make sure the brass is simply clean. If it could be proven that highly polished brass shoots more accurately, I could change my mind.

hunter Joe 01-04-2009 06:27 PM

Just say no to Brasso

I agree with Jay, shiny nickel or dull brass, seems to shoot the same. I use standard media, no additives. H.J.

cpttango30 01-04-2009 11:50 PM

NEVER use BRASSO it will ruin your brass.

I use untreated corn cobb media with a few capfulls of Nufinish car wax or I use MidwayUSA's media treatment. Either way works good for shiny brass.

I'm very anal about how my ammo looks. I want the shiniest ammo on the line I don't care if it shoots better or not I call it pride in my work. That and nice shiny ammo just looks like it shoots better.

If you are cleaning range pick up brass from an outdoor range I would use walnut hulls first for clean them then run them threw a treated corn cobb batch.

robocop10mm 01-05-2009 02:15 PM

NEVER, NEVER, EVER use an amonia based cleaner with cartridge cases!

I have two tumblers. The first has Midway's brass polish and corncob for cleaning cases. The second has Flitz and corncob for polishing.

1hole 01-05-2009 08:05 PM

AMMONIA is a liquid that is harmful to brass, Brasso includes ammonia so doen't use it wet. We can add it to the media and tumble it overnight so the ammonia will evaporate and it's safe to use then. But why? Brasso is much more expensive than any cheap autopolish without ammonia and will work just as well on brass. Nu-Finish is popular because it's cheap and has no ammonia.

robocop10mm 01-05-2009 10:18 PM

You MAY be OK by allowing the Ammnonia to evaporate but I am unwilling to risk my safety by using any product likely to degrade the strength of cartridge brass when there are several good products available.

yokel59 01-06-2009 02:20 PM

Ok then. Brasso gets the no vote... I will be making a call to midway this week... As for why Brasso? I live in A.K.A Hee Haw Hell....lol and Brasso is cheaper then most auto waxs.. around $1.50 to $1.00 a can...

Thanks again for the Info and help.

Kevin

c3shooter 01-06-2009 03:03 PM

Visit you neighborhood rock shop. Ask about powdered abrasives used in rock tumbling. I use just a pinch of tin oxide added to corn cob or walnut media every 10th run. Cheap, does not hurt brass. you might also try rice. dry, of course.

pirate 01-10-2009 12:02 AM

If you want really shiny brass soak it in kool aid first, rinse it then toss in the tumbler, dry it off first, if you want to, but I just put a heat lamp on it so it shines into the top of it. Just don't put the lamp so close it melts the tumbler!! The citric acid in the kool aid takes all the tarnish off, I've been doing this for years and no harm has come to me or my brass. All it takes is about 45-60 minutes in the kool aid.