Brass Questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brass Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger79 View Post
I recently acquired a ton of 40 S&W brass. Some regular brass and a lot of it nickle plated. My questions are -

1. When do you discard/recycle your brass? I have a few casings that have very small dents and dings on them. Nothing major, just small dents. Would the small dents/dings mean that the casing is weak in that spot?

2. I have some casings that are obviously beyond repair. The mouth is dented severely and there are major dents on the casings. These I know to throw into the recycle bucket. (This really isn't a question.)

3. Some of the regular brass I have is discolored, I.e., dark in color but looks great. Just discolored. Would this be O.K. to reload?

4. I have some brass of both categories that have major scratches on the outside walls. Is this a sign of wear from previous reloading and shooting or is it just from normal wear?

5. Do any of you guys and girls separate your brass by head stamp? I have a ton of Speer nickle plated brass and a few Federal and Winchester nickel plated brass. As far as regular brass I have a lot of Winchester, Blazer and PMC. I have a really bad case of O.C.D. when it comes to things being organized. I was just curious if anyone keeps they're brass separate from one another according to head stamps.

Sorry for so many questions. I have been reloading for about a year. It is a wonderful hobby that I love. Thanks in advance friends!!
i have probly reloaded more .40, than any other caliber so far.. not saying i'm the expert but it is my favorite to load.

1. i will clean, resize any brass before discarding. easier to find problems. if the dent/dings done go away with resizing, toss em. if the primer pocket is to enlarged toss em.

2. not a question.

3, as others mentioned cleaning them does good. color matters none, compared to cracks, and dents.

4. scrathes are normally okay. if its looks like a really deep scratch you may want to load light, or not at all. but most scratches are just that scratches.. if you scratch your car does it still run good??

5.YES, im just OCD like you, but as im resizing, i place all the brass into there own olders.. most of the the time the box even matches the head stamp.. generally its done for accuracy reasons. but i do it based on brass quality. my RWS brass appears super clean looking, and shows no wear hence i use it only for hot, SD/HD loads.. my blazer, remignton on the other hand looks dirty even after cleaning.. so its used for target only.

but that's just me.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Almost all of the Speer casings I got have been run through a Glock. They have the famous Glock firing pin mark!! I am going to look into the bulge buster. I may try loading a few with out using the bulge buster to see how they do. I am going to be loading with Berry's 135gr - 165gr bullets behind Power Pistol and Hodgdon HP-38 powders. I had A LOT of success running the Hodgdon powder in 9 mm. Was clean, accurate and very consistent. I have read great things about the Power Pistol but never had a chance to try it in 9 mm.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I am currently tumbling the regular brass with some crushed corn cob and a splash o' Turtle Wax. I haven't resized/deprimed any of them yet. I was reading on the interweb about washing the brass out really good with HOT water and a bit of dish detergent. After they have been deprimed of course. The article stated that the HOT water and soapy mixture help get the crud out of the inside of the casings a lot better then tumbling. Damn O.C.D. . . Must be CLEAN and ORGANIZED!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have a Magma Case Master that does the same thing. All 9, 40, .357 Sig, 10mm, .45 brass go though it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #15

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
I recently acquired a ton of 40 S&W brass. Some regular brass and a lot of it nickle plated. My questions are -

1. When do you discard/recycle your brass? I have a few casings that have very small dents and dings on them. Nothing major, just small dents. Would the small dents/dings mean that the casing is weak in that spot?
Small dents and dings should harm anything. The pressure of reloading or firing will smooth things out for you. Brass is a wonderful metal as it returns to its original propertied when heated.

Quote:
2. I have some casings that are obviously beyond repair. The mouth is dented severely and there are major dents on the casings. These I know to throw into the recycle bucket. (This really isn't a question.)
Some could be fixed but it would take time and effort.

Quote:
3. Some of the regular brass I have is discolored, I.e., dark in color but looks great. Just discolored. Would this be O.K. to reload?
As long as they are in good shape some time in a tumbler will take care of the color. If it doesn't then load them and shoot them like clean brass.

Quote:
4. I have some brass of both categories that have major scratches on the outside walls. Is this a sign of wear from previous reloading and shooting or is it just from normal wear?
Maybe some people don't lube pistol brass because of carbide dies. If you put a small amount of lube there will far fewer scratches. If you don't then they will scratch unless you catch your finger nail on them as you run it over them I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
5. Do any of you guys and girls separate your brass by head stamp? I have a ton of Speer nickle plated brass and a few Federal and Winchester nickel plated brass. As far as regular brass I have a lot of Winchester, Blazer and PMC. I have a really bad case of O.C.D. when it comes to things being organized. I was just curious if anyone keeps they're brass separate from one another according to head stamps.

Sorry for so many questions. I have been reloading for about a year. It is a wonderful hobby that I love. Thanks in advance friends!!
Depends on what I am reloading. My Long range 308 loads and my bench gun loads are totally different animals than my 45acp plinker loads. My 45acp plinker loads get what ever brass I pull out of the bucket. Doesn't make much of a difference.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Quote:
I don't want to be the guy loading my own Hollow Points and have a lawyer saying I am loading Satanic force ammo that can stop a tank from a mile away. )
I've heard of these. I'll stick with the non-Satanic versions

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
mudslinger79 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #17

I just recently found some .38 special brass from WWII era was wondering if it is safe to reload or not??

Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
.40 S&W runs at a pretty high pressure, and it has a dubious history where case failures are concerned. Always err on the side of safety.
[QUOTE=robocop10mm;1015960]I do not sweat the minor dings. They either iron out from resizing or from the pressures of firing. Scratches are often from getting kicked around on the range.

Really dark stuff was likely left on alkaline soil for a while. I tend to batch those together to be shot in a situation where I am unlikely to find them anyway (tall grass).

I have heard a soaking in Vinegar water will correct this, I have not tried it yet.

[QUOTE=genesis;1016039]I reload for the 40 S&W (among others). One thing to watch for (and it was mentioned above) is a bulge just forward of the rim. This is a "Glock'd" case. I.E, it's been fired in a Glock.

Last first--Glock'd cases are not limited to Glocks.

Overkill is absolutely right, the 40 S&W has had some issues due to the pressures. It's a bored out 9mm, so due diligence is required.

Robocop has a real good idea about the tarnished cases and high grass, it's just that I can't say ahead of time when that happens for me. BTW the vinegar works to some degree, stainless media in a tumbler works best.

Nickle cases may not last as long as regular yellow brass. The plating flakes off and the edges can then scratch die (non-carbide), or the plating can corrode and you then have freckles. Cleans up better and to some is prettier.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #19

Collected some aluminum cases at the range today. Was wondering if those can be reloaded???

Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No. I don't even think you can recycle them (brass components in the mix)