Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brass options for new bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

I hear Lapua makers the best brass, period. Pricey, though.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #12

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Robocop is right. But before you try to make match ammo, you need to learn how to make just plain, safe ammo. You need to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the loading process. Safety is your biggest concern when it comes to reloading. And never...I say again, never exceed maximum loads.

I reload for about 15 different calibers including 3 wildcats.

Before you do anything else...read a book.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 196 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Robocop is right. But before you try to make match ammo, you need to learn how to make just plain, safe ammo. You need to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the loading process. Safety is your biggest concern when it comes to reloading. And never...I say again, never exceed maximum loads.

I reload for about 15 different calibers including 3 wildcats.

Before you do anything else...read a book.
Once I get set up I was planning on reloading for handguns ( 3 calibers) until I felt confident, then moving on for the rifles ( 3 calibers) all the while referencing my books.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I hear Lapua makers the best brass, period. Pricey, though.
Have you heard anything about Hornadays primer pockets be soft at times?

Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #15

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

I haven't.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Nope not wildcat. I have ordered a 260 savage with select match barrel. I was under the impression to use virgin brass and then only use that brass in my rifle. So Please enlighten me.
I shoot 260 Remington out of one of my 1000 yard comp rifles. The barrel was cut with a Remington match reamer, so it will not chamber correctly the thicker neck Lapua brass for example. I buy Remington brass and all is well. More than likely the Savage barrel is reamed for Remington dimension brass.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I shoot 260 Remington out of one of my 1000 yard comp rifles. The barrel was cut with a Remington match reamer, so it will not chamber correctly the thicker neck Lapua brass for example. I buy Remington brass and all is well. More than likely the Savage barrel is reamed for Remington dimension brass.
The barrel I ordered was the shieln select match. Do you think I will have the same issues. By the way what dies are you using?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Quote:
I know I need to run new brass. Should I buy factory rounds to fire form or should I buy new brass or both. Which manufacture of brass would you recommend? This is my first bolt action.
There's really no need in buying virgin brass unless you just want to. I resize once fired 243 brass for my 260. I personally don't like Remington brass,so I buy Winchester,Federal,and Nosler for most of my brass.
Lapua is great brass,but it is pricey. Nosler makes nice brass also,but there's nothing wrong with the common brands,they just need prepped by you on the steps that the mfg's don't do like Nosler and Lapua.
You will need to uniform the primer pockets,and also de-bur the flash holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.
I've never noticed enough difference through the chronograph to change to the Match primers. The speeds and extreme deviations were not that much different in my loads that I've compared them against to allow the extra cost for the Match primers.
I will use magnum primers on standard loads when they perform better thru the chrono,but I haven't bought Match primers in many years.

Quote:
Have you heard anything about Hornadys primer pockets be soft at times?
I was talking about the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass,not Hornady's brass in general. I've never had any problems from their 308 Match brass that I shoot.
Anyone that shoot's the 6.5 Creedmoor,knows the problems we've had with their brass in that caliber.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
There's really no need in buying virgin brass unless you just want to. I resize once fired 243 brass for my 260. I personally don't like Remington brass,so I buy Winchester,Federal,and Nosler for most of my brass.
Lapua is great brass,but it is pricey. Nosler makes nice brass also,but there's nothing wrong with the common brands,they just need prepped by you on the steps that the mfg's don't do like Nosler and Lapua.
You will need to uniform the primer pockets,and also de-bur the flash holes.

I've never noticed enough difference through the chronograph to change to the Match primers. The speeds and extreme deviations were not that much different in my loads that I've compared them against to allow the extra cost for the Match primers.
I will use magnum primers on standard loads when they perform better thru the chrono,but I haven't bought Match primers in many years.

I was talking about the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass,not Hornady's brass in general. I've never had any problems from their 308 Match brass that I shoot.
Anyone that shoot's the 6.5 Creedmoor,knows the problems we've had with their brass in that caliber.
I have the tools for the flash hole and primer pockets,good to now about the primers. How are the winchester primers? Time to go shopping for brass.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #20

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
The barrel I ordered was the shieln select match. Do you think I will have the same issues. By the way what dies are you using?
I'm using Redding full length dies. Should call Shieln barrels and definitely find out what reamer they used on that barrel. Also, I haven't had any problems with the Remington brass and it does anneal well.

Sent from my C811 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app