Brass options for new bolt action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brass options for new bolt action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 534
Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default Brass options for new bolt action

I know I need to run new brass. Should I buy factory rounds to fire form or should I buy new brass or both. Which manufacture of brass would you recommend? This is my first bolt action.

__________________
bradam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,259
Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Default

I am afraid I do not follow you. Is this a wildcat caliber? Why would you need to fireform brass? Is there a reason you would not use once fired?

I fireform brass for three different wildcats. But I always use once fired brass.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

Yeah, just buy the appropriate caliber ammo, and run it.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 534
Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am afraid I do not follow you. Is this a wildcat caliber? Why would you need to fireform brass? Is there a reason you would not use once fired?

I fireform brass for three different wildcats. But I always use once fired brass.
Nope not wildcat. I have ordered a 260 savage with select match barrel. I was under the impression to use virgin brass and then only use that brass in my rifle. So Please enlighten me.
__________________
bradam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

I suspect that if you have to ask that question, it doesn't matter. (Meaning, it sounds like someone was giving you advice on how to wring the absolute most accuracy out of the gun, which you are probably not capable of, given your question. (No offense, neither could I, and I'm taking an educated guess at the reason.) Try asking another guy here, jpattersonnh, he knows a lot about rifles. He's probably got one like yours.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 534
Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I suspect that if you have to ask that question, it doesn't matter. (Meaning, it sounds like someone was giving you advice on how to wring the absolute most accuracy out of the gun, which you are probably not capable of, given your question. (No offense, neither could I, and I'm taking an educated guess at the reason.) Try asking another guy here, jpattersonnh, he knows a lot about rifles. He's probably got one like yours.
No offense taken. I have fired a few shells in a grunt outfit and have a few ARs. I want to get in long distance shooting and have most of the reloading equipment to get started with ( I have never reloaded) I am just trying the right way to do this. Thanks for the jp name tip.
__________________
bradam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

Good luck. JPNH is a good guy for rifles, not sure about reloading. TXhillbilly may be good for reloading questions. Either way, everybody is going to tell you to read reloading manuals, 3 times, before you do anything. Probably good advice.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 534
Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default yes on books

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Good luck. JPNH is a good guy for rifles, not sure about reloading. TXhillbilly may be good for reloading questions. Either way, everybody is going to tell you to read reloading manuals, 3 times, before you do anything. Probably good advice.
I have Hornaday 9th edition, Speer manual 14, Lyman 49th edition, The beginners guide to reloading Ammunition, The reloading's bible,The ABCs of Reloading, Handbook for shooters and Reloading by P.O. Ackley Volumes I and II. I have been researching and gathering reloading supplies since last summer. My reloading room is almost complete. I feel now is the time I should stretch my wings and make contact with people of practical experience (application). Once again thank you for, the TXhillbilly contact. I believe I have heard of him or rather read a few of his comments.
__________________
bradam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,195
Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 534
Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default good anawer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.
Thank you for your straightforward answer. I am a keep it simple type of person, which your above explanation is. Of course the follow through steps are not as simple. I will have of a few more questions,for a later time as it is getting late. thanks again for your time
__________________
bradam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Lever action options, or lack there of?? bessemerbob General Rifle Discussion 17 01-27-2014 06:11 PM
Bolt action rifle 223, any tips for resizing 5.56 brass? Anna_Purna Ammunition & Reloading 10 09-10-2013 09:33 AM
lever action vs bolt action Zamzow General Rifle Discussion 14 06-11-2012 01:43 PM
bolt action 30-06, or a lever action 30-30 kasper89 General Rifle Discussion 39 05-05-2012 07:54 PM
Brass Shavings in Bolt Assembly? PrimePorkchop AR-15 Discussion 4 01-02-2012 05:53 PM