Brass options for new bolt action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brass options for new bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default Brass options for new bolt action

I know I need to run new brass. Should I buy factory rounds to fire form or should I buy new brass or both. Which manufacture of brass would you recommend? This is my first bolt action.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I am afraid I do not follow you. Is this a wildcat caliber? Why would you need to fireform brass? Is there a reason you would not use once fired?

I fireform brass for three different wildcats. But I always use once fired brass.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #3

Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Yeah, just buy the appropriate caliber ammo, and run it.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #4

Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am afraid I do not follow you. Is this a wildcat caliber? Why would you need to fireform brass? Is there a reason you would not use once fired?

I fireform brass for three different wildcats. But I always use once fired brass.
Nope not wildcat. I have ordered a 260 savage with select match barrel. I was under the impression to use virgin brass and then only use that brass in my rifle. So Please enlighten me.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #5

I suspect that if you have to ask that question, it doesn't matter. (Meaning, it sounds like someone was giving you advice on how to wring the absolute most accuracy out of the gun, which you are probably not capable of, given your question. (No offense, neither could I, and I'm taking an educated guess at the reason.) Try asking another guy here, jpattersonnh, he knows a lot about rifles. He's probably got one like yours.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #6

Default I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I suspect that if you have to ask that question, it doesn't matter. (Meaning, it sounds like someone was giving you advice on how to wring the absolute most accuracy out of the gun, which you are probably not capable of, given your question. (No offense, neither could I, and I'm taking an educated guess at the reason.) Try asking another guy here, jpattersonnh, he knows a lot about rifles. He's probably got one like yours.
No offense taken. I have fired a few shells in a grunt outfit and have a few ARs. I want to get in long distance shooting and have most of the reloading equipment to get started with ( I have never reloaded) I am just trying the right way to do this. Thanks for the jp name tip.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #7

Good luck. JPNH is a good guy for rifles, not sure about reloading. TXhillbilly may be good for reloading questions. Either way, everybody is going to tell you to read reloading manuals, 3 times, before you do anything. Probably good advice.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #8

Default yes on books

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Good luck. JPNH is a good guy for rifles, not sure about reloading. TXhillbilly may be good for reloading questions. Either way, everybody is going to tell you to read reloading manuals, 3 times, before you do anything. Probably good advice.
I have Hornaday 9th edition, Speer manual 14, Lyman 49th edition, The beginners guide to reloading Ammunition, The reloading's bible,The ABCs of Reloading, Handbook for shooters and Reloading by P.O. Ackley Volumes I and II. I have been researching and gathering reloading supplies since last summer. My reloading room is almost complete. I feel now is the time I should stretch my wings and make contact with people of practical experience (application). Once again thank you for, the TXhillbilly contact. I believe I have heard of him or rather read a few of his comments.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #10

Default good anawer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.
Thank you for your straightforward answer. I am a keep it simple type of person, which your above explanation is. Of course the follow through steps are not as simple. I will have of a few more questions,for a later time as it is getting late. thanks again for your time