Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > brass cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5214 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

The only drawback to a vibratory is you lose the ability to wash with warm water and Tide.

Golda Meier.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, and I couldn't be happier. It runs super quiet. My brass comes out clean and for the most part shiny. I also deprime first and the primer pockets come out spotless. I don't really need super shiny brass, it's all just range ammo for me. I'm not out to win a brass beauty contest. I usually run my sonic cleaner about 20 minutes, maybe more if I have more than 100 rounds in it.

Last edited by Cshooter; 03-23-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshooter View Post
I use an ultrasonic cleaner, and I couldn't be happier. It runs super quiet. My brass comes out clean and for the most part shiny. I also deprime first and the primer pockets come out spotless. I don't really need super shiny brass, it's all just range ammo for me. I'm not out to win a brass beauty contest. I usually run my sonic cleaner about 20 minutes, maybe more if I have more than 100 rounds in it.
I'm curious about the ultra-sonics. Initial cost. cost of chemical solution, safety precautions(if any)

Do you have a link to one like your unit that gives a good detailed description?? Thanx!

Golda Meier.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I'm curious about the ultra-sonics. Initial cost. cost of chemical solution, safety precautions(if any)

Do you have a link to one like your unit that gives a good detailed description?? Thanx!
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
This is the cleaner I have. This unit looks identical to the Lyman unit, probably made by the same company but you pay for the Lyman name. I have a bottle of the Lyman turbo sonic cleaner, which works pretty good. The Hornady cleaner is supposed to work good too. Lately I have been mixing my own solution containing white vinegar, a drop of dish soap and water. It works really well and is very cost effective. I have also cleaned gun parts using the gun part cleaning solution(different solution than for the brass).

Last edited by Cshooter; 03-24-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
This is the cleaner I have. This unit looks identical to the Lyman unit, probably made by the same company but you pay for the Lyman name. I have a bottle of the Lyman turbo sonic cleaner, which works pretty good. The Hornady cleaner is supposed to work good too. Lately I have been mixing my own solution containing white vinegar, a drop of dish soap and water. It works really well and is very cost effective. I have also cleaned gun parts using the gun part cleaning solution(different solution than for the brass).
Thanks for the info!

I use dish soap and warm (NOT HOT) water in the tumbler. Works very well indded. I may try adding a bit of vinegar. Hadn't thought of that!

Golda Meier.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

Quote:
I've had the same (Harbor Freight) unit for a couple years. Other than the brand name and the shade of paint, it's pretty much indistinguishable from the Hornady unit. I use dish soap or Simple green for cleaner. Unless what you are cleaning is truly foul, you don't really need anything too fancy.

For Vibratory tumblers, I had a Lyman that crapped out after about 2.5 years. I replaced it with a Hornady model. It was a step up in quality.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

OOOPS!!

I use laundry detergent (Tide) not dish detergent. Very little difference though.

Been using my Thumler's model B tumbler for ~35 years now. changed out half a dozen drive belts, but no other problems.

Golda Meier.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I went ona couple week hell mission with brass cleanin set-up. I wanted to buy local and i wanted somthing that does the job and does it right.(i build alot of my own ****)

After finally deciding to drop the coin ona decent Vibster i had to find one! Went to one LGS and got a tip that another GS had one. Jumped in my truck drove 35miles freakin out cuzz the kids were getting off the bus real soon. Made it to the shop in time,but as i walked through the door i noticed this clown had one in his hands at the counter.

He bought the only one they had minutes b4 i got there. Him and his porkchop wife just laughed and walked out when i told the owner what i came for. Next day i drove staight to another shop 45miles in the opposite direction and bought a Lyman Turbo with a sack of TuffNut( treated walnut shellz)unit and media-100spot.

Next i hit Wallyworld picked up some corncob pet bedding and Nu-finish car polish and havent looked back. I dont regret any of it.

I deprime dump couple hundred 45s in with TuffNut 1st for a heavy hour,then switch it over to the corncob for 1-2hours. They come out looking better then factory finish i think.I really like the waxxy finish they end up with also.

I havent been doing it long but man what a feeling when u start sifting the corncob out of ur shells,its almost like panning for gold i tells ya!!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rotary tumbler will last longer than a vibrator, and as a plus is much quieter. They both get the job done, but a true tumbler can be used both dry and wet.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the tip on the tumbler, being new I never thought using it wet or dry.