brass cleaning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > brass cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default brass cleaning

New to reloading and I have a question. For pistol rounds is it always necessary to clean the brass before reloading? Or are there times when you would not clean before reloading. I am about to pull the trigger and purchase by loading kit. from reading some books on reloading i decided I am also going to get a digital scale. What I am undecided is if I need a brass tumbler or vibrator?

Do experienced reloaders clean your brass every time before reloading? Are there certain situations when it is not necessary to clean brass using a tumbler before reloading ? If needed I will invest in one. I plan starting with handgun ammo and I want todo it right the first time.

Thanks for your help,
Ken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts

I have only been reloading for about 9 months and I do clean my brass every time before I reload. I think for my tumbler and the media ive got about $50 into it. Plus it will make your brass look brand new and that in itself is a plus for me. Why spend all that time reloading just for your end result to look like crap.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Unless you do not mind scratched dies, you need to clean the brass EVERY TIME. Brass can be cleanedd in a rotary rock tumbler, vibratory polisher, or with water and some sort of cleaning agent like Simple Green. Vibratory polishing is just the fastest and easiest way, not the only way.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5830 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 5310

If you don't mind a real PITA, you can just wipe it down with a soft cloth.

But to answer your question, YES! you need to clean your brass.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

i use a vibratory tumbler its just easy and fast. if you dont clean you can bugger up dies and brass or even your gun from junk left on the brass from shot to shot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Something else to think about... if your brass is clean it will be easier to spot damage like splits or bulges.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought the dillon cv 750 vibratory cleaner and the cm-500 case separator.
they have served me very well for 20 years now.
go here
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Case_Preparation_Equipment-8-8.html

Old 03-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

A vibratory tumbler is better imo but people have their fave's . I prefer to use ground walnut in mine. I've also had good luck using the "green treated lyman corn cob media" it seems to leave a finer finish. New to the areana is the sonic cleaners, but I have no experience with them. They claim to be very versatile when used properly.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Been reading up on the sonic cleaners and the reviews have been really love or hate them. One trend I have noticed is that to get the really clean and shiny brass people have also used a tumbler or vibrator type either before or after using the sonic. Why spend the money on a sonic if you still need to use the other type of cleaner. I think I am going to shop for or good tumbler to vib type cleaner.