Brand new to reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Brand new to reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brand new to reloading

I have been interested in reloading for some time and am on a budget. I am considering the Lee Load It All to reload my 12 ga 2 3/4 shells. I am also considering Accurate #9 smokeless powder. What else/kind do I need, will any primers works, and what kind of shot?

I also want to reload my .45-70, is there anything good out there for that, will the same powder work...etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Whoa! You first need to read a good reloading manual. Lyman makes a very good one. The shotgun iinfo will likely be in a different manual. Go to the local gun shop or Library to get started.

There are at least 50 commercially available canister powders. Many have no shotgun applications at all. .45-70 is a very large case with some specialized needs as far a powder goes. The intended firearm has a HUGE impact on loading decisions in .45-70. Springfield trap doors are weak actions and the loading MUST be light. Ruger #1's are a dead tough action that will devour hot ammo that will destroy a trap door.

Get a book first. Establish a basic knowledge of the subject and I will be more than happy to help you with fine tuning and load selection.

BTW, I load .45-70 and 12ga 2 3/4". Once you get that basic knowledge, I can be of significant assistance.

ps: I don't want to sound liek an arrogant pr!ck, but there is a volume of basic knowledge that a loader needs to have before ever even purchasing a press. Talking about specific loads until you have that basic knowledge is not prudent (IMHO).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ryan, I not sure if you can reload shotshells and metallic cartridges on the same press, but I don't think so. Like Robocop said; get some basis knowledge first and then start asking questions. There is a wealth of information on the internet and in books, and you need to have a grasp on what it takes to hand load and then we can start talking powder, weight, bullets shot size etc. Believe me, the guys on this forum love to share information and they know their $hit. HJ

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

" You first need to read a good reloading manual. Lyman makes a very good one."

There is a wealth of wisdom in that line.