Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Which brand die for .223? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/brand-die-223-a-84156/)

crispybojangles 02-14-2013 12:51 AM

Which brand die for .223?

I just bought my stripped lower so that means I will start loading .223 so I can shoot when I want... My question, what is a top name brand that is proven and performs well all the time... Me being a lee guy naturally I leaned toward their products but I once I started reading reviews I got mixed feelings... Then I checked out rcbs and hornady which yielded the same results, lots of 4-5 stars but the low 1-2 star reviews left me scared with the issues they were explaining... I stumbled upon the forester ultra 2 die set and couldn't find anything negative about them.... My set up is a lee classic turret with range brass....

Thoughts?

Nickwashere 02-14-2013 01:03 AM

I've reloaded about 800 .223 rounds with my lee pacesetter set and they are great.. In general I don't here complaints about lee dies.. Especially the factory crimp

BILLYBOB44 02-14-2013 04:07 AM

.223 Dies??

I started with Lee Dies in .223-Moved up to RCBS-Moved up to Redding!;)

I REALLY like the Redding dies. Have added on the Neck Sizer, carbide expander ball, and Competition Seating Die.

Yes, for the extra $--To ME the Redding Dies are worth it..Bill.:)

locutus 02-14-2013 04:30 AM

IMHO, Redding dies are the best mass production out there.

Hornady, Lyman, RCBS are also superb. I've had problems with LEE dies in the past, but to be fair, their customer service is superb and they took care of the problems.

I do use the LEE Factory Crimp dies on most calibers.

nitestalker 02-14-2013 04:36 AM

If you are using the LEE turret press stay with the LEE dies. Your neck expander and powder drop dies are needed in this press. You also need the rifle Ctg. adapter to provide room for longer rounds.:)

crispybojangles 02-14-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44
I started with Lee Dies in .223-Moved up to RCBS-Moved up to Redding!;)

I REALLY like the Redding dies. Have added on the Neck Sizer, carbide expander ball, and Competition Seating Die.

Yes, for the extra $--To ME the Redding Dies are worth it..Bill.:)

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks bill!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to look into the redding.

BILLYBOB44 02-14-2013 03:11 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to look into the redding.

:);) And you will never look back..WELCOME to the Reloading World..Bill:D

bamashooter68 02-15-2013 04:12 AM

I use Lyman and RCBS and they both work very well and are both good quality.

Txhillbilly 02-15-2013 04:37 AM

Any brand will work just fine.
I have dies from almost every mfg.,and none produce a better cartridge than another. My standard Lee dies produce ammo that shoots just as well as my Redding Competition dies.I have done several test between them over the years,and the bullets group almost identical.
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I prefer to use Lee dies,but there are certain calibers that they don't produce die's in,so I use other brands.

If you prep your cases correctly,the dies don't make much of a difference when set up correctly.

locutus 02-15-2013 05:30 PM

I can assure you, you will never regret the few extra dollars for Redding.:)