Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Bought a new Powder Dispenser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/bought-new-powder-dispenser-104301/)

Txhillbilly 02-22-2014 05:00 AM

Bought a new Powder Dispenser

About 4 years ago,I bought a SmartReloader ISD electronic powder dispenser/scale. I used the crap out of this thing,but as with most electronic stuff,it finally broke. It will not calibrate anymore.After calling SmartReloader customer service,they sent me a new power cord for it,but it's still not working right,and they do not service the units.

I called Natchez to order another one a couple days ago,and they informed me that it had been discontinued.:mad:
So,I ordered a Hornady LNL unit,and it arrived today.
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=PC&prodID= PC050068&prodTitle=Hornady%20Lock-N-Load%20Auto%20Charge%20Powder%20Dispenser

This thing is pretty small compared to the SmartReloader ISD,but will hold the same amount of powder.The powder tubes/covers are even the same size,and interchange,so I have spare parts.
I set it up,and tested the operation of it with a couple powders-H335 and Varget. It works great,but you do need to fine tune the unit in order for it not to overthrow a charge weight. After adjusting the trickle timer delay time for each powder,it consistently threw perfect charges every time.

There are a couple things I don't like about the Hornady unit.
1.The powder dump tube is small,and it takes longer to empty the powder out of the unit than the other one.
2.The powder chamber is deeper,and narrow at the bottom,and is hard to get all of the powder to go into the dump tube once you have dumped most of the powder out.

While none of these electronic powder dispensers are perfect,no matter the brand,they do increase the ability to load more cases faster,and as long as they throw true and correct charges,that's all I'm concerned about.
I checked the weights from this machine on both of my RCBS 505 scales,and they were all dead on.

The SmartReloader unit had a 2 year warranty. The Hornady,as well as most other brands only have a 1 year warranty.
If this unit last as long as the other one,I'll be happy. The time they save,is worth the cost of them.

awahlster 02-22-2014 05:41 AM

I'll stick with my good old RCBS manual powder measure. But then I weigh each powder charge on a 5-0-5 scale anyway.

Txhillbilly 02-22-2014 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awahlster (Post 1512486)
I'll stick with my good old RCBS manual powder measure. But then I weigh each powder charge on a 5-0-5 scale anyway.

I still like using my RCBS Uniflow,and Redding BR3 manual powder measure's,but I got spoiled using the electronic one.
I load a lot of test loads every month,especially since some of my regular powders have become almost non-existent over the last year or two,and I've started shooting several different powders with a bunch of different calibers.

oldtymer35 02-22-2014 05:38 PM

I've been using the RCBS Chargemaster for over 8 yrs now and have never had a problem with it. When I first started using it, I would check the first powder charge it dispensed against my scale each time I reloaded. But I soon gained confidence in the accuracy of the Chargemaster and have trusted it ever since. Also, it is very easy to empty the unused powder after a powder charging session.

I use the Chargemaster for all of my rifle cartridge reloading and use the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure for all of my handgun reloading.

Oldtymer

Txhillbilly 02-22-2014 07:38 PM

I've got several friends that have or have had the RCBS Chargemaster. Their track record isn't that great,sounds like you have one of the good ones.
The PACT unit is also another one with bad reviews,as are most of the Lyman units.

I actually think that all of them are made in the same Chinese plant. The SmartReloader is the same size /shape as the RCBS,just a different color and the key board is placed differently.The new Hornady that I bought has the same exact scale pan,and powder canister tube and cover as the SmartReloader.

If the RCBS unit was $100 cheaper,I'd buy one,but I'm not going to pay $300 for something I know is going to eventually break because it's electronic and Chinese. If the Hornady last as long as the SmartReloader did,it will be worth the cost in my book.

JonM 02-22-2014 10:16 PM

ive had my chargemaster for 3 years with no issues. i use it mainly for loading rounds where i need a lot of accuracy or loads for my 458 winmag which have large charge weights and use stick powders.

i dont think thee is any diff tween all of em cept features.

locutus 02-25-2014 07:57 PM

I set my Redding measure by a Lyman 1005 beam balance scale, and throw charges right out of the measure. I have several loads that go less than 1/2 inch. (The scale is calibrated with check weights every time I use it)

When I was new to reloading, I weighed individual charges. A couple of old time bench rest shooters in my club convinced me weighing was a waste of time. I started throwing the charges right out of the measure 40 years ago and haven't look back.:)