Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Bore diameter on a m43 mauser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/bore-diameter-m43-mauser-105724/)

cva209x50 04-02-2014 01:28 AM

Bore diameter on a m43 mauser
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have a sporterized m43 Mauser. The chamber is still original as it had no problems with the Remington cor-lokt 8mm Mauser ammo. I need to measure the bore diameter. I put a slug from one of the cor-lokt rounds in the muzzle (the same way you would with a mosin nagant) and it stopped half way. Does that usually mean it's a .318 barrel? If I slug the barrel, can I use a pulled slug from a 7.62x54r round (7.92mm bullet diameter) or do I have to use a lead ball? If I use a lead ball, what size do I need? Attachment 140948

Axxe55 04-02-2014 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cva209x50 (Post 1546654)
I have a sporterized m43 Mauser. The chamber is still original as it had no problems with the Remington cor-lokt 8mm Mauser ammo. I need to measure the bore diameter. I put a slug from one of the cor-lokt rounds in the muzzle (the same way you would with a mosin nagant) and it stopped half way. Does that usually mean it's a .318 barrel? If I slug the barrel, can I use a pulled slug from a 7.62x54r round (7.92mm bullet diameter) or do I have to use a lead ball? If I use a lead ball, what size do I need? Attachment 140948

take it to a compentent gunsmith who can slug it and measure it properly. again, you are trying to play a guessing game. this has been answered by others and myself several times already. the answer isn't going to change simply by posting a new thread on the matter.

cva209x50 04-02-2014 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1546667)
take it to a compentent gunsmith who can slug it and measure it properly. again, you are trying to play a guessing game. this has been answered by others and myself several times already. the answer isn't going to change simply by posting a new thread on the matter.

I'm going to go to gunsmithing school after high school and I am trying to do as much as I can on my own when working on guns (mosins, 870's, bb guns, airsoft guns, etc). I know how to slug a bore. I'm trying to keep from starting an argument but WHAT SIZE LEAD BALL DO I NEED?

Axxe55 04-02-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cva209x50 (Post 1546678)
I'm going to go to gunsmithing school after high school and I am trying to do as much as I can on my own when working on guns (mosins, 870's, bb guns, airsoft guns, etc). I know how to slug a bore. I'm trying to keep from starting an argument but WHAT SIZE LEAD BALL DO I NEED?

take it to a compentent gunsmith and let him show you how to do it properly then.

trigger643 04-02-2014 02:08 AM

The 7.92 x 57 or 8mm Mauser is a .323" caliber bullet since 1905. If the barrel and chambering are original on your M43, that is.

SSGN_Doc 04-02-2014 02:12 AM

You usually use a compound and pour it into the bore and drive it out and measure the slug. Cerro-safe is one such compound.

But for the cost and risk if you don't know what you are really doing, the advice to take it to a gunsmith is still the most cost effective. Express to the smith, your desire to learn. He may let you sit quietly by and observe while he does the procedure.

Axxe55 04-02-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger643 (Post 1546696)
The 7.92 x 57 or 8mm Mauser is a .323" caliber bullet since 1905. If the barrel and chambering are original on your M43, that is.

that's assuming no one has rebored it since it's about 60-70 years in age.

when firing live ammo, it's better to err on the side of caution rather than making assumptions.

cva209x50 04-02-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1546702)
You usually use a compound and pour it into the bore and drive it out and measure the slug. Cerro-safe is one such compound.

But for the cost and risk if you don't know what you are really doing, the advice to take it to a gunsmith is still the most cost effective. Express to the smith, your desire to learn. He may let you sit quietly by and observe while he does the procedure.

OK, thanks. ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.