Black Talons
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Black Talons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Black Talons

I remember hearing that they are now marketed under a new name. I've been wanting to pick up a few boxes to see if they are as good as the old Black Talons I remember shooting hogs with when I went hunting with my dad in TX. Anyone know what the new name is?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

SXT (Same eXact Thing)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Patrick Sperry Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The most overhyped ammo of all time. DRT gets honerable mention.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The most overhyped ammo of all time. DRT gets honerable mention.
Agreed. Black Talon got way too much attention.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The Barnes TTSX bullets work great too.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
SXT (Same eXact Thing)
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Current status Winchester discontinued the Black Talon line completely in 2000. The “Ranger SXT” ammunition sold later by Winchester is very similar to the Black Talon though without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet. Among shooters, a running joke is that SXT stands for “Same eXact Thing", though the official branding is “Supreme eXpansion Technology”. However, there are differences in the anatomy of the bullets which become apparent when carefully examined side by side. The hollow point cavity dimensions and angles of the meplat were altered to enhance reliability of expansion, though the basic "reverse taper" design pioneered by the Black Talon was retained. This "reverse taper" refers to the bullet's jacket being thicker at the tip than toward the base, enhancing rigidity which allows the sharp petals to remain largely perpendicular to the wound path, unlike traditional designs where the expanding jacket petals would peel back almost completely behind the expanded lead mushroom. This difference is obvious after firing into ballistic gelatin.[13] In 2007 Winchester updated their Ranger SXT line and renamed it Ranger T-Series. Besides further dimensional changes to the hollow point for reliable expansion, the distinctive perpendicular petals were made longer yet more rounded at the tips to retain stiffness.
PDX1

In 2009 Winchester-Olin released a new hollow point bullet in its Supreme Elite line of handgun ammunition called the Bonded PDX1.[14] It is similar to the Ranger SXT series and, therefore, the older Black Talon line in its structure, and is available in several calibers and loadings. The most obvious difference from the SXT is that the bonded design, meant to maintain structural integrity through difficult intermediate barriers like auto-glass, largely prevents the sharp petals from peeling away from the lead core and fully protruding into the wound track. The .40 S&W PDX1 cartridge is the primary service ammunition of the FBI.[15] The PDX1 series is also available for purchase by civilian shooters. Further, the only difference between ammunition marked "Law Enforcement" and its unmarked version is that the Federal excise tax which is normally paid by the manufacturer on certain sporting goods, firearms, and ammunition (a major source of wildlife conservation funding) is not paid. Once that tax is paid, it is perfectly legal to sell the ammo via any legal channel. There is no law that prohibits civilians from buying ammunition marked "Law Enforcement," which some of the Ranger line has printed on the box (as do other lines of ammunition.)
I can't speak to hogs, but I carry Ranger Ts in my CCO.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

I don't know about all that they made their way back in both my glock 30 and back up clip for the last couple years,... Bought on sale in the nineties.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I thought hogs were more of a SoftPoint ammo situation, for penetration reasons?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The Black Talons were able to shred the cartilage that protects the front shoulder. It usually took 2 rounds to get the job done but it was a ****ing blast.