Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Black Talon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Black Talon

What was the real reason for discontinuing the manufacture of the Black Talon? Was it considered racist?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Racism was the real reason it was discontinued. Basically with all the media hype on corporate racism they had to discontinue it.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That and from what I've discovered (brief research) there was some sort of lawsuit involved with a shooting involving the Black Talon.

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It was once again the poorly informed, rabid, liberal media that went after Winchester for creating a bullet that caused unbelievable destruction and sure death upon it's use. Maybe the bullet itself being black didn't help because it surly was evil. We all know the bad guys wear the black hats.

Actually, the Black Talon it was just a good hollow point bullet driven at a high velocity that mushroomed like a hollow point bullet is supposed to do. The irony is Remington had made an almost identical copper jacketed HP bullet and was selling them to hand-loaders without anyone taking notice. I tested several of these hollow points in wet packs and although the Talon was an excellent off the shelf round I could get the same performance handloading the Remington's for a lot less money. Cheap enough that I could afford to practice with the same round that I was carrying.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
It was once again the poorly informed, rabid, liberal media that went after Winchester for creating a bullet that caused unbelievable destruction and sure death upon it's use. Maybe the bullet itself being black didn't help because it surly was evil. We all know the bad guys wear the black hats.

Actually, the Black Talon it was just a good hollow point bullet driven at a high velocity that mushroomed like a hollow point bullet is supposed to do. The irony is Remington had made an almost identical copper jacketed HP bullet and was selling them to hand-loaders without anyone taking notice. I tested several of these hollow points in wet packs and although the Talon was an excellent off the shelf round I could get the same performance handloading the Remington's for a lot less money. Cheap enough that I could afford to practice with the same round that I was carrying.
Funny you mention that.

The black talon was subsonic in most loadings except 357 and 44.

The ranger t series is the same projectile minus that evil black moly coating. You know the one. It allowed 147 gr subsonic hollow points to race through Kevlar

Now, there was one 9mm load, not named black talon, but rather Ranger, that was marketed to LE and military at the time. The same moly coated projectile loaded in nickel plated cases. 127gr +p+ it is an awesome load. I have them in my carry gun now.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 07-17-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Funny you mention that.

The black talon was subsonic in most loadings except 357 and 44.

The ranger t series is the same projectile minus that evil black moly coating. You know the one. It allowed 147 gr subsonic hollow points to race through Kevlar

Now, there was one 9mm load, not named black talon, but rather Ranger, that was marketed to LE and military at the time. The same moly coated projectile loaded in nickel plated cases. 127gr +p+ it is an awesome load. I have them in my carry gun now.
Your talking about Winchester Ranger 127gr SXT # RA9SXTP I have boxes of them that were issued me. They came in brass cases also.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After the shooting in San Francisco, the anti's dubbed the Talon a "cop killer" bullet because of it's abilities and how, when expanded, it has the wickedly sharp, jagged edges on the petals. They were claimed to be "too lethal". Imagine that! A bullet that actually does what it is designed to do. Who'da thunk it?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sweet Jesus!

Another Interwebz Mythos in need of deflating.

The "Black Talon" ammo was manufactured and marketed by Winchester starting in 1991.

It quickly became THE ROUND to have by everyone, not just the Law Enforcement Community where it was designed, allegedly, to be used.

Eventually it was used by some ASSHAT who went on a shooting spree and the ammo was "indicted" by the anti-gun community, the media and everyone who wanted to beat the "Anti-2A" drum.

Some medical "professionals" gave false testimony that the razor sharp barbs COULD puncture their protective gloves and keep in mind this was when AIDS was still a much unknown commodity. So Anti-AIDS was against the Black Talon, which was HUGE at the time.

A lawsuit was filed, some money changed hands, and Winchester pulled the ultra evil "Black Talon" ammo from the market around late 1993.

It was later altered in color and remarked as the Ranger SXT, which is a fine self defense ammo that I personally love (and use).

No. It was NOT removed from the market due to racism.

A little reading and studying of history is time WELL spent.

JD

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the clarification JD . I probably should've researched the reason for it's pull from the market more, but oh well .

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #10

and we all know what SXT stands for right???

Same eXact Thing!! or so as it is commonly referred by