Black bullets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Black bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Black bullets

I could not find a lot of input on the moly coated bullets. Can someone give me a thought as to how they eould perform out of a 3" kimber for just range plinking? Where is best place to buy in bulk? What would be a good recipe for a medium load?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I shoot a bunch of moly coated bullets out of my rifles,but have never tried them out of a pistol.I really don't see the need given the short range a pistol is fired.
The moly coated bullets shoot much slower than a copper coated bullet using the same powder charge.I see up to 200 fps difference in some loads.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I shoot a bunch of moly coated bullets out of my rifles,but have never tried them out of a pistol.I really don't see the need given the short range a pistol is fired.
The moly coated bullets shoot much slower than a copper coated bullet using the same powder charge.I see up to 200 fps difference in some loads.
My main reason for moly coat was the price concern over copper jacket.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Moly just one more thing to foul the bore. Copper has been working for plenty of time so I stick to that.

Tried moly bullets once in my 308 took 5 hours of cleaning to get all that crap out of the barrel. Never again will I do that.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was given a bunch of moly coated Nosler Partitions recently by a friend at the range in an exchange for some bullets I gave him. I just turned around in a few days and gave them to another friend. I agree with tango none of those will go through my rifles, the uncoated coppers do just fine.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

am i missing something here? i thought that moly coated bullets were still copper jacketed bullets just lightly coated with molybednum disulphide.

it suppose to reduce barrel wear.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
am i missing something here? i thought that moly coated bullets were still copper jacketed bullets just lightly coated with molybednum disulphide.

barrel wear and barrel fouling are two different things. a lot of complaints on
the moly bullets are that they gum up the lands and grooves and need much
more frequent cleaning compared to those with uncoated copper and/or brass
jackets

Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Moly bullets are NOT all the same.

First, there are rifle bullets that are tumbled in MoS2 powder. These are NOT the same as handgun moly bullets and should NOT be considered as even being comparable.
Precision Bullet, Black Bullet International, and Bayou Bullets use a Moly-Kote polymer/MoS2 mixture to coat the bullet. This is like a soft "jacket." It lubricates the barrel and prevents lead exposure at indoor ranges.
These bullets are great. The only complaint I have is that the prices are getting up there near jacketed bullet levels.
Billy Bullets also uses a moly coating, but it is a very thin paint-like coating that is easily damaged. It does work, if you load carefully.
Everything rifle shooters know about moly bullets has NO bearing on the pistol bullets from the above sources. If you are burnishing you lead or jacketed handgun bullets with powdered MoS2, then you are in the same area as the rifle guys.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #9

Default Still not hearing a concensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
First, there are rifle bullets that are tumbled in MoS2 powder. These are NOT the same as handgun moly bullets and should NOT be considered as even being comparable.
Precision Bullet, Black Bullet International, and Bayou Bullets use a Moly-Kote polymer/MoS2 mixture to coat the bullet. This is like a soft "jacket." It lubricates the barrel and prevents lead exposure at indoor ranges.
These bullets are great. The only complaint I have is that the prices are getting up there near jacketed bullet levels.
Billy Bullets also uses a moly coating, but it is a very thin paint-like coating that is easily damaged. It does work, if you load carefully.
Everything rifle shooters know about moly bullets has NO bearing on the pistol bullets from the above sources. If you are burnishing you lead or jacketed handgun bullets with powdered MoS2, then you are in the same area as the rifle guys.
Seems that rifle shooters and handgun users are not on the same page when it comes to moly coat. My gun has a 3" barrel which seems to me would not have the same fouling effect as it would when travelling down the length of a long bore rifle. I'd like to hear from handgun reloaders who have a similar barrel length and some testing with the moly coat. I am not especially interested in hearing oponions that dont pertain to this specific issue.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post

You are correct. Moly in theory will produce faster MV and consistancy over Copper. It was also suposed to extend barrel life as it would need less powder to get the same MV as copper. The concept is moly fills in all the imperfections in your bore and is so slick the bullet has less resistance. The only rifle I have that shoots moly coated bullets better is my K31. I bought 400 Combined Tech 165gr sp that were moly coated. My K31 loves them. At $9.00/100 they were worth a try.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.