Better then nothing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Better then nothing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Better then nothing?

I have a feeling I already know what you all will say but I want to put this to the group anyway.

How effective is a 22 round for protecting yourself? I just got into shooting and only own a 22 handgun and a 22 rifle. It's going to be a little while until I can get a 9mm or 45 for proper home protection so the 22 handgun is going to be what I count on if something happens until then. I have hollow-point CCI mini-mags in it and if I had to engage a target it would never be more then 10 to 15 feet away.

Granted, this not the best home protection gun but it beats getting by on my good looks and luck! Could I drop a person with this? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you have the "While not ideal" part down right.

Could you drop someone with a .22? Yes, both with a single shot if you hit him right and with multiple shots if you just unload everything you have.

Is it going to happen often? No, quite frankly it's not. Even with Mini Mags in there, you aren't creating much of a wound channel, so there is minimal blood loss and system trauma right from the get go.

However, if you shot me in the face with just one round, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be as interested in doing you harm as I was previous to that.

It's not ideal - and it's certainly not the best option, but given your situation I feel it's the best you can do right now.

Of course, cutting some 2x4's to put in the slide windows and installing a dead bolt lock on all outside doors is a better idea than having to rely on a .22 for your main protection piece.

YMMV -

JD

Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well--the lowly 22 has dropped some fairly large
critters, so don't sell it too short. It's not my first
choice for a defense round---heck, it's
not even in the top 10, but it beats having
of a hand full of nothing.

Personally, I would go with a high velocity solid
instead of hollowpoints. Even if they do expand
the hollowpoints don't leave much of a wound
channel. I would go for maximum penetration
with a solid. Having the bullet expand and pretty much
stop in a heavy coat isn't the desired effect.

Then practice---practice---practice. 22 ammo is
cheap, go shoot a brick on a regular basis. Bullet
placement is critical with the 22, so take the time
to develop the muscle memory to put that bullet
where you want it every time.

Take all that money you save by using the 22 for
practice, plunk it in a piggy bank and when there
is enough go buy a bigger gun.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with J.D. You start shooting at me with your .22, I'm leaving. Hunter Joe

Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

FWIW, I don't want to be shot at with ANYTHING- including BB guns, sling shots, or super soakers filled with Kool-Aid. However, some serious thought- a .22 Long Rifle cartridge may KILL a man- but short of that, it is unlikely to STOP him. In a defensive role, that is your goal. It is undoubtedly more effective than whacking him with a pillow. IF you are going to rely on any 22 for defensive purposes- go practice. A lot. No, more than that. A lot. (and yes, I shot a lot of 22- but I carry a 357, 9mm, or 45)

Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

not my first choice but its better than nothing. like jd said just try to "burglar proof" your home as well. .....burgaler..burgler..how do you spell it..lol... i hate words like that

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

Thanks guys! This is kind of what I was thinking but its good to confirm it. The rest of the house is pretty secure and I'm a nut for making sure its locked down so I got that going for me.

I do practice a lot, and am getting much better, so I can feel good about that too. If all else fails two full clips in the chest and head should get a message accross. If not I got more problems then I know!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, it's a start. I don't think anyone from this forum would advocate a .22lr as your PRIMARY defense piece, but it's a start. Once you get comfortable with the weapon, and you become "at one" with it, it's time to start looking for something a little bit bigger, a little bit more powerful.

The guys here are a valuable resource, so don't hesitiate to ask as they will gladly provide valuable, real world experience.

JD

Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #9

I have seen a few people shot with the .22 LR and believe me, all were very dead. I had heard stories of the round not penetrating skull or "tracking" around the interior. What I actually saw was a .22 caliber entrance, no exit, and a 3/16" channel all the way through the brain. Not pretty but effective I suppose.

Multiple torso shots I have seen to be pretty damaging as well. As stated before, it may not be the optimal defensive round but it will do the job, especially with little recoil allowing several solid hits.

Not trying to be too graphic, but the majority of the shootings I have seen were suicides, and many of those with .22's. All were a... uhhh... success, despite how odd that word sounds in this context...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, I carry this little 5 shot 22 magnum in my pocket virtually all the time, and don't even notice I'm carrying it. I'm astonished at the power this little thing puts out! I shot it at an old abandoned car and this little mag passed all the way through the door! And, it makes a lot of noise.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want to be hit by this...

It's not a target gun...
It's not an autoloader...
It's not very accurate...

It is SMALL, and it goes BANG 5 times spraying 22 Magnums...

naa22mag.jpg