Best virgin rifle brass
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best virgin rifle brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Best virgin rifle brass

I want to work up some highly accurate loads for my 270 win and already have all my other components selected, however I do not have any virgin brass. I want to use new brass because my once fired stuff is of various brands, mostly very cheap stuff.

So what brand provides the most accurate new brass cases? Also, where do you find your brass cause most sites I see are sold out.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Lapua and a-square.

Both are normally in stock because they aren't cheap, but they are the best.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1839 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 671

That is why I never got into reloading. Components are always sold out. Some bullets cost as much as factory ammo. If you want to reload HP pistol ammo you can save a little money.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Lapua for sure. Check out Nosler brass as well.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Sorry guys, Lapua doesn't make 270 Win brass.

That's leave Norma as the best. If you can find it.

Edit:
Found some.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/25407

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001320269015

Last edited by mseric; 10-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

What is a highly accurate .270 load? The .270 is a practical game cartridge not a bench rest round. Any new brass properly manicured and annealed regularly should work just fine.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get.

Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass?

Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get.

Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass?

Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.

I shoot, load and hunt with a lot of different rifles. Some get the high dollar Lapua/Norma brass, some get the Win/Rem stuff. I make em all work. Load development and range time is all it takes.

Brass can be important, or not. For accuracy it's best to stick with one headstamp. Mixing headstamps is fine for semi-auto pistol shooting, but for precision rifle not so much, it should all be the same. Whatever "same" you choose, it will work. Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get. Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass? Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.
I used Hornady in my .308 before I had a bunch of saved up used brass. It works fairly well but I'm no expert in brass or reloading

Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
That is why I never got into reloading. Components are always sold out. Some bullets cost as much as factory ammo. If you want to reload HP pistol ammo you can save a little money.
Some bullets can be pricier. But the quality of such bullets is phenominal. Saying the high end unloaded bullets aren't worth it because you can get tula steel cased rounds for less is like saying a corvette sucks because I can get a yugo for less....

You have to compare high to high end.

What's more realistic is I shoot a lot of 45-70 it costs about 50$ for off the shelf box of 20. I can make the exact same bullet in lots of 50 for about 29$. All other rounds are the same general price diff compairing same to same. With some rounds like the 458 win mag which i shoot a lot the difference is even more enormous. Box of 20 factory runs about 95-125$, reloads run me about 15$ per 20.

If I bought shelf ammo I might get to shoot that rifle two or three times a year at best

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This