Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best virgin rifle brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-virgin-rifle-brass-99664/)

fa35jsf 10-29-2013 01:40 PM

Best virgin rifle brass

I want to work up some highly accurate loads for my 270 win and already have all my other components selected, however I do not have any virgin brass. I want to use new brass because my once fired stuff is of various brands, mostly very cheap stuff.

So what brand provides the most accurate new brass cases? Also, where do you find your brass cause most sites I see are sold out.

JonM 10-29-2013 02:08 PM

Lapua and a-square.

Both are normally in stock because they aren't cheap, but they are the best.

John_Deer 10-29-2013 02:17 PM

That is why I never got into reloading. Components are always sold out. Some bullets cost as much as factory ammo. If you want to reload HP pistol ammo you can save a little money.

sandog 10-29-2013 02:40 PM

Lapua for sure. Check out Nosler brass as well.

mseric 10-29-2013 03:49 PM

Sorry guys, Lapua doesn't make 270 Win brass.

That's leave Norma as the best. If you can find it.

Edit:
Found some.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/25407

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001320269015

nitestalker 10-29-2013 03:53 PM

What is a highly accurate .270 load? The .270 is a practical game cartridge not a bench rest round. Any new brass properly manicured and annealed regularly should work just fine.:)

fa35jsf 10-29-2013 05:12 PM

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get.

Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass?

Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.

mseric 10-29-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf (Post 1416950)
Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get.

Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass?

Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.

I shoot, load and hunt with a lot of different rifles. Some get the high dollar Lapua/Norma brass, some get the Win/Rem stuff. I make em all work. Load development and range time is all it takes.

Brass can be important, or not. For accuracy it's best to stick with one headstamp. Mixing headstamps is fine for semi-auto pistol shooting, but for precision rifle not so much, it should all be the same. Whatever "same" you choose, it will work. Good Luck!

ShagNasty1001 10-29-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Maybe I should have clarified what I meant be "accurate". What I am looking to do is play around with powder charge to find the best grouping. I have shot many different brands and types through my rifle and some group well, others not so well. My rifle is not a bench rest gun but rather my deer rifle, however I still want the best grouping I can get. Has anyone had any experience with Hornady brass? Also, thank you for any links because reloading components are hard to find in stock. Thanks for the links already posted.

I used Hornady in my .308 before I had a bunch of saved up used brass. It works fairly well but I'm no expert in brass or reloading

JonM 10-29-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1416851)
That is why I never got into reloading. Components are always sold out. Some bullets cost as much as factory ammo. If you want to reload HP pistol ammo you can save a little money.

Some bullets can be pricier. But the quality of such bullets is phenominal. Saying the high end unloaded bullets aren't worth it because you can get tula steel cased rounds for less is like saying a corvette sucks because I can get a yugo for less....

You have to compare high to high end.

What's more realistic is I shoot a lot of 45-70 it costs about 50$ for off the shelf box of 20. I can make the exact same bullet in lots of 50 for about 29$. All other rounds are the same general price diff compairing same to same. With some rounds like the 458 win mag which i shoot a lot the difference is even more enormous. Box of 20 factory runs about 95-125$, reloads run me about 15$ per 20.

If I bought shelf ammo I might get to shoot that rifle two or three times a year at best