Best versatile rifle round?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best versatile rifle round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Default Best versatile rifle round?

My buddy and I are planning a trip to South Dakota for a prairie dog hunt. I need to buy a new bolt action rifle and was wondering about some opinions on versatile rifle rounds. My intentions for this round will be for varmints at distances of upwards to 500 yards. And then for possible deer hunts in open range country as well. I do plan on reloading for this rifle as well. And if you have and suggestions for a good rifle with a price tag of upwards to $700 I would appreciate it. Thanks for all the replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Free 7

To address all the topics above it definitely rules out rounds like the 223/5.56, 22-250 and the normal closer range prairie dog calibers. By adding in the facts of deer hunting and in open range country the brings another area to the table. In addition to the mention of 500 yard ranges. A lot of it has to do with the budget of reloading and what you want to do in that area. Obviously purchasing larger caliber ammunition for a lot of shooting is very costly and particularly for prairie dog hunting where it is nothing to shoot several hundred rounds in a day. For an all around rifle caliber although there are others that I like better would be the 30-06 cal. You can shoot 110 grain varmint loads in it 150 grain bullets for deer for example and up to around the 220 grain bullets and specialty bullets for bigger game. Another thing that you must contend with while shooting in the open range country is "Wind". Next for a basic caliber gun I would suggest the 270 Winchester round. You can find a good rifle in the $700.00 range but do not forget that the optics and mounts are as important if not more important than the rifle you are mounting it on. So do not skimp on the Scope! Remington in the 700 Models, Howa in the 1500 Models, Savage in the 110 series are all great choices. Personally I hunt prairie dogs with a 6.5 Grendel and deer,and bore with a Remington 700 CDL 7 MM Remington Magnum. Sometimes a 223/5.56 Rock River Arms 20" Varmint Gun for closer work up to 200-300 yards. I have found the wind out on the planes really affects the 223/5.56.

Good luck on your choice!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Free 7

To address all the topics above it definitely rules out rounds like the 223/5.56, 22-250 and the normal closer range prairie dog calibers. By adding in the facts of deer hunting and in open range country the brings another area to the table. In addition to the mention of 500 yard ranges. A lot of it has to do with the budget of reloading and what you want to do in that area. Obviously purchasing larger caliber ammunition for a lot of shooting is very costly and particularly for prairie dog hunting where it is nothing to shoot several hundred rounds in a day. For an all around rifle caliber although there are others that I like better would be the 30-06 cal. You can shoot 110 grain varmint loads in it 150 grain bullets for deer for example and up to around the 220 grain bullets and specialty bullets for bigger game. Another thing that you must contend with while shooting in the open range country is "Wind". Next for a basic caliber gun I would suggest the 270 Winchester round. You can find a good rifle in the $700.00 range but do not forget that the optics and mounts are as important if not more important than the rifle you are mounting it on. So do not skimp on the Scope! Remington in the 700 Models, Howa in the 1500 Models, Savage in the 110 series are all great choices. Personally I hunt prairie dogs with a 6.5 Grendel and deer,and bore with a Remington 700 CDL 7 MM Remington Magnum. Sometimes a 223/5.56 Rock River Arms 20" Varmint Gun for closer work up to 200-300 yards. I have found the wind out on the planes really affects the 223/5.56.

Good luck on your choice!

Thank you for the huge amount of information! How do you feel about the .243 Winchester? I should mention for using this rifle for deer I would be looking for max distance of 300 yards. Just starting out with this type of hunting so I don't want to get to overboard. I'm used to northwest Indiana deer hunting where my shots don't go farther than 100 yards from a tree stand.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

for 500 yards on a small prairie dog how about the 7mm mag? its flat shooting which will help at the longer distances.

.308 or 30/06 gives you good choice for loading varmint to deer rounds.

wind and ballistics effect these two more than the 7mm.

300 yards with a 243 is very do-able. but i would rather have a little bit more rifle at that range. anything closer than 300yards and the 243 is great.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6557 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

The 6MM Remington would be a better choice than .243 to address your needs. A good heavy barrel 6mm loaded with 85-90 grain bullets is fully capable of 500 yard varmint hunting if the shooter is up to it.

But if you want to shoot 500 yards at small targets, a scope capable of that will cost you over $500.

And the choice of scope is even more important than the choice of rifle.

Last edited by locutus; 03-27-2013 at 10:28 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Free 7,

The 243 Winchester is an good round for both, providing you have excellent shot placement on Deer and staty within or close to 200 yard range. Farther out it is a little light for deer sized game. But a very accurate round. I have shot 243 Win. for years in my Sako Finnbear Varmint Rifle and it is certainly a good round for coyotes and varmints and deer but not a long range caliber for deer. For deer shot placement is critical as it is important with any caliber. But with the 243 it is slightly more important. And also to select the right ammunition for the game you will be shooting. For example for deer the 85 gr. or 100 gr. bullets. It is also a veery flat shooting round and averages in the area of 3500 fps. velocity range and higher with light varmint loads. Not a bad choice!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

22-250, 243, 308, 30-06. I've seen 308 and 30-06 hit their mark at 1000yrds.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 221

.32 ws?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

Pick from one of these: .243, 6mm Rem., 6mmx.284, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06, 6.5x55, .260 Rem., 6.5x284, 6.5-06.
ct

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Free 7,

The 243 Winchester is an good round for both, providing you have excellent shot placement on Deer and staty within or close to 200 yard range. Farther out it is a little light for deer sized game. But a very accurate round. I have shot 243 Win. for years in my Sako Finnbear Varmint Rifle and it is certainly a good round for coyotes and varmints and deer but not a long range caliber for deer. For deer shot placement is critical as it is important with any caliber. But with the 243 it is slightly more important. And also to select the right ammunition for the game you will be shooting. For example for deer the 85 gr. or 100 gr. bullets. It is also a veery flat shooting round and averages in the area of 3500 fps. velocity range and higher with light varmint loads. Not a bad choice!

I think I'm going to go with the .243. I still want to do a little more research on loading possibilities for it and maybe a few other possible rounds. Thanks again for your help.